This is going to get messy, really quickly

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
So my company is doing another "cycle to work challenge"; after last years success in which one of our forumites came 2nd to a nutter who cycled to Basingstoke and back from London just for a meeting.

I think it was over 300 miles in the week wasn't it Chris?

Anyway - this year they're doing the same week long challenge except for some unknown reason have decided to put people into random teams.

Oh, God help us.

I want to be on Chris's team - otherwise I may as well not bother - I only won a bottle of champagne 'cos I wrote a piece on 'the game'
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,387
    One of your senior managers has a very dark sense of humour. I can hear him cackling now.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I posted 327.6 but did get to see a lot of countryside that week. The winner clocked 360 or thereabouts and tbh by the time I pulled in for a pint on the Friday evening with 63 miles for the day I was firmly of the view that he was chuffing welcome to it. Still am. :)

Yeah - teams. So it'll be last year's winner with a the girl who did 4 miles on the Tuesday, me with her mate [result then!!!!!] and then a random scattering of ne'er-do-wells and short-termers. Hopefully.
  • Kieran_Burns
    ... and people rapidly booking meetings 30 miles from base....

It'd be nice if she lumped me in with my two work mates here. One guy works in the next village to me (Castle Donington... you may have heard of it :wink: ) and the other is doing 56 miles A DAY.

If we worked as a team we'd do all 5 days out of a sense of guilt / male pride.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • CiB
    ... and people rapidly booking meetings 30 miles from base....

It'd be nice if she lumped me in with my two work mates here. One guy works in the next village to me (Castle Donington... you may have heard of it :wink: ) and the other is doing 56 miles A DAY.

If we worked as a team we'd do all 5 days out of a sense of guilt / male pride.
    Whereas this place still contains enough people who think of me as a bit odd [I presume for cycling to work but hold on...] so the chance of anyone here being a useful part of a team is a bit low, and they all live close by. 20 people x not many miles is a good start tho.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Whoops!

In amongst all our banter about how the organiser needs to get cycling herself (on that fetching pink bike I found) some of us forgot to register! :oops:

It's running this week and me and Chris aren't on the list!
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • CiB
    I sent a late entry in on Friday PM and got a quick reply back saying it was a bit late - teams already sorted, nice even numbers per, but I could enter as a team of one if I fancied. I'm only gonna get one commute in this week so it's not worth it from my PoV.

Will watch it with an air of smug detachment. Miles eh? Who'd ride further just to climb some arbitrary table? Pffft.
  • Kieran_Burns
    I was going to say that me, you and Rob (cycling buddy in the vids of mine) could form our own team, but he's off today and as you're only commuting once; it'd be down to me to get the miles in and I'm crap.

Damn. :oops:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • CiB
    Go on Burnsy - you can do it. You knock off 300+ like I did last year (s'easy, you just keep going instead of being home in time for East Midlands Today). Your oppo can do 4 x 46 = errr... 176, and I can rattle of a token 50 on Friday just to show willing. 626, that should beat all-comers.
  • CiB wrote:
    Go on Burnsy - you can do it. You knock off 300+ like I did last year (s'easy, you just keep going instead of being home in time for East Midlands Today). Your oppo can do 4 x 46 = errr... 176, and I can rattle of a token 50 on Friday just to show willing. 626, that should beat all-comers.
    Um, 184 [/pedant]