Need help on which derailour to get?

Jakbroad1
Jakbroad1 Posts: 12
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
So i currently only have my bike in one gear,
Which derailour shall i buy that will work,i think and im pretty sure its all set up and i just need to fit a new chain and derailour and im good to go. I dont have a gear shifter on the left though but im not to fussed about using the higher gears as long as the main one works (right side)

Also my wheel is 8 speed but my gear shifter has only 7 speeds will it still work? here are some pics.
100_2205.jpg
100_2203.jpg
100_2202.jpg
100_2201.jpg
100_2200.jpg

Many thanks.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    rear or front?

any sram for the rear and any for the front.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Jakbroad1
    Rear, theres already one at the front
  • Jakbroad1
    edited June 2011
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    So you'll need the mech hanger and bolt to suite your frame, a SRAM rear mech (X3,4,5,7,9,0) and a cable as well as the right length chain and then to set it up.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Jakbroad1
    Simon, which hanger would i need? does the sram x4 derailleur come witch the cable? if not where do i get the cable from,
    Jak
  • For the rear mech hanger, just bring it into your local bike shop and get them to source one. There is a multitude of various hanger types available for different frames. The mech hanger fits the frame and allows you to hang a rear mech off it.
    The X-4 rear mech will work fine with your shifters.
    While you are at your bike shop, ask for an inner cable and some cable outer. This does not come with the rear mech.
    You will also need a longer chain to allow you to fit the rear mech. Any 8-speed chain will be compatible with your setup. Watch out for wear on your components. If your current chain and cassette are well worn, a new chain may not mesh properly with the cassette causing the chain to slip or jump. Ask at the bike shop for them to look at wear and recommend if the cassette has enough life left
    2009 Giant Anthem X2
    2009 On One Il Pompino in SS CX mode!
    2009 Giant Defy 2.5
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Except if your shifter is 7 speed and the cassette 8, you have a slight mismatch.
    Are you sure it's 7 speed, as no window and an 8 speed will have 7 clicks.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Jakbroad1
    Im sure the shifter goes up to 7, and the back wheel has 8 cogs, but the sram x4 derailleur says its works with 7/8 speeds?
  • cooldad
    The spacing is the same so you could only use 7 cogs at the back and lock one out with the limit screws.
    The mech will work with 7, 8 or 9.
    Might be an idea to look in the classifieds here or Ebay for some matching second hand stuff.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    7 shifter clicks = 8 gears.
  • cooldad
    I did mention that a few posts up.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Your confirmation however does make my heart glad.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Note to self. Avoid beer in the afternoon.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools