Boardman or a 'Dale?

fenboy369
fenboy369 Posts: 425
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
Its C2W time again where I work, so its the normal question...

Should I get a Boardman Road Team or a Cannondale Synapse 105?

Both ride nice and feel good. The Boardman looks to have better wheels than the 'Dale but the 'Dale has a carbon back end. Would a carbon seat pin on the Boardman give me a more durable bike?

Comments please...... :wink:
'11 Cannondale Synapse 105CD - FCN 4
'11 Schwinn Corvette - FCN 15?
'09 Pitch Comp - FCN (why bother?) 11
'07 DewDeluxe (Bent up after being run over) - FCN 8

Comments

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I assume you mean seat post rather than seat pin. That would be a bit of bling for no real purpose.

Anyway, I'd go for the bike with the better frame. You can change everything else, but when you change the frame, you're into new bike territory.

Based on that, I'd go Cannondale. Also, it won't scream C2W!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    This one 8)...

5710004278_4ffa23f315_z.jpg
  • kelsen
    The carbon wrapped seatpost doesn't make much difference by the way. The smoothness of the ride comes from Cannondale's SAVE design of the rear triangle.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    A Carbon seatpost can absorb road buzz from the frame and saves weight (depending on how light the seat post is compared to the alu one).

All of which I think is equalled or surpassed by Cannondale Synapse's rear triangle.

However, every time I'd go to pay for a Synapse my card and I would veer towards whatever CAAD ‘Dale are selling

The CAAD 10 isn’t incredibly pretty (unless you get it in naked black) but the Synapse may as well be a hybrid with that rear triangle! That rear triangle neither looks strong, comfortable, beefy, fast or aesthetically pleasing (IMO).

However,
    Also, it won't scream C2W!

Boardman's do scream "C2W!" Like a Porsche Boxster screams "Can't afford a 911!"

I think either frame is pretty decent however. A CAAD, I think is generally regarded as the best frames within the price range.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • kelsen
    edited June 2011
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    A Carbon seatpost can absorb road buzz from the frame and saves weight (depending on how light the seat post is compared to the alu one).

Agreed, additionally though, it also depends on how much of the seatpost is exposed. A carbon seatpost on a compact geometry frame would make a bigger difference than on a traditional frame based on the amount of carbon which is allowed to flex. On the Synapse however, you get a carbon-wrapped post with an alu core, so apart from aesthetics, it makes bugger all difference in my experience.
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    However, every time I'd go to pay for a Synapse my card and I would veer towards whatever CAAD ‘Dale are selling

The CAAD 10 isn’t incredibly pretty (unless you get it in naked black) but the Synapse may as well be a hybrid with that rear triangle! That rear triangle neither looks strong, comfortable, beefy, fast or aesthetically pleasing (IMO).

The Synapse is Cannondale's offering for a sportive bike, the equivalent of Specialized's Roubaix, and has a slightly more relaxed geometry than their CAAD frames. For that reason the rear triangle has been designed to have a degree of flex. From the profile, the stays look really thin, but in actual fact they are oval shaped and when viewed from above is actually a lot thicker. This design works really well on the carbon Synapses but probably not so much on the alu frame. Having said that, it does work and is the most comfortable aluminium frame I've ridden.

I chose the Synapse over the CAAD8 as I wanted a comfortable commuting bike. I was initially concerned that I would lose out on the responsiveness of the CAAD frames, but to be honest, any compromise is more likely down to the rider than the bike.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,354
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    The CAAD 10 isn’t incredibly pretty (unless you get it in naked black) but the Synapse may as well be a hybrid with that rear triangle!

You've gone too far now mister!
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • kelsen
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    The CAAD 10 isn’t incredibly pretty (unless you get it in naked black) but the Synapse may as well be a hybrid with that rear triangle!

You've gone too far now mister!

I completely missed that bit!

DDD, may that seat bolt forever be welded to your seat clamp and prevent you from ever attaining the perfect riding position, and I wish a thousand mice babies build a nest inside your seat tube!

:evil:
  • fenboy369
    fenboy369 Posts: 425
    Thanks chappies. I was veering towards the Boardman, which is a lovely bike. But I'd always be thinking "I wish I'd got the 'Dale". I've just emailed asking if they can get me the Synapse. Fingers crossed........ :wink:
    '11 Cannondale Synapse 105CD - FCN 4
    '11 Schwinn Corvette - FCN 15?
    '09 Pitch Comp - FCN (why bother?) 11
    '07 DewDeluxe (Bent up after being run over) - FCN 8
  • kelsen
    fenboy369 wrote:
    Thanks chappies. I was veering towards the Boardman, which is a lovely bike. But I'd always be thinking "I wish I'd got the 'Dale". I've just emailed asking if they can get me the Synapse. Fingers crossed........ :wink:

Yay, good choice!
  • cloggsy
    cloggsy Posts: 243
    Boardman, but I'm biased.

If my Team Carbon said 'Cannondale' down the frame, it would cost £2,500!
  • Mr Magpie
    Mr Magpie Posts: 2
    Good choice sir...

Stick with the 'Dale.