What's a nice route from Richmond to Clapham Junction...?

lastant
lastant Posts: 526
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
Right, circumstances dictate me needing to get from Clapham Junction to Richmond (Old Deer Park) on weekday mornings at silly o'clock.

I need to get there for 06.00, and will be heading back at 07.00ish. I've done two days, but just wondering if there is a better route at all that others would recommend?! Thanks!

Currently I head down to Wandsworth, then along Upper Richmond Road (the A205) which has roadworks then up onto Lower Richmond Road (the A316). The roadworks are the depressing bit, on the way back they certainly create a bit of a backlog.
One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)

Comments

• richVSrich
    richVSrich Posts: 527
    dont think theres any faster way...but you could head through richmond park for half a lap..though that would mean negotiating the A3 for a bit...

the road works: from west hill can you turn right into upper richmond road yet?

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&sourc ... 07632&z=13
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    On the way back avoid the roadworks by taking Dryburgh Rd/Clarendon Drive (parallel to the URR) or go down Queen's Ride/Lower Richmond Road towards Putney Bridge then take Putney Bridge Road to Wandsworth, perhaps avoiding the one-way system by nipping across Bell Lane Creek? There're lots of little cycle shortcuts in Wandsworth too - from CLJ work your way round to Nantes Close, cross the dual carriageway and you can get to Wandsworth Town station, much quieter than the main roads.

Also depending on where you're going in the Old Deer Park area it's usually quicker to use the Upper Richmond Road all the way to Church Lane and cross the railway line there. It brings you out just by the roundabout by the Old Deer Park. Upper Richmond Road is a lot nicer to cycle than the Lower Richmond Road unless you stick to the rubbish segregated path on the latter, in which case you have to stop and give way at every driveway!
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"