Wiggle/Tyres/Vouchers Dilema

RossMu
RossMu Posts: 59
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
Hey,

I want to get some opinions from you...

I currently have some vouchers for Wiggle. I planned on getting 2 GP4000s to use this summer. Looking on their site I can see that they are £10 more expensive per tyre than they are on Ribble. I asked Wiggle if they would be willing to price-match, but they suggested that it is older stock that Ribble have.

I do not believe that there have been any changes to these tyres this year, so I am struggling to decide whether it is worthwhile or not. I currently run Marathon+ but have been tempted to risk something a little lighter and quicker over the summer months.

Thoughts?

Comments

• navt
    navt Posts: 374
    Just got my stock from Ribble and they are definitely not older stock.
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    As far as I can see, the days of Wiggle being one of the cheapest retailers is over (IME only).

Still, you've got the vouchers so either pay what Wiggle want or buy the tyres from Ribble and find something else on Wiggle that is more of a bargain.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Don't forget you can get a £5 voucher off a £50 spend at Wiggle if you sign up for the newsletter (and every time after that when you change preferences). That would reduce the difference a bit more.
  • RossMu
    Fair point - I will probably just get them at Wiggle.

Cheers!
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Buy the tyres from Ribble and get something of better value from Wiggle :wink:

Wiggle are still the cheapest for lots of stuff but only if you pick the right time to buy.

Still, service is amazing, no hassle returns etc. that's often worth a couple of quid extra.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    RE the tyres, just check you're comparing 4000S tyres. The 4000 (i.e. with no S on the end) are the older and less popular tyres. The new ones use the Black Chilli compound which is supposed to be significantly better.

Just checking the sites and CR are £33.99 and Wiggle are at £35.99, though that includes my Wiggle discount. Full price is £40.

Wiggle definitely isn't as cheap as it was. Without my discount I don't think I'd be spending as much money there.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • RossMu
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    RE the tyres, just check you're comparing 4000S tyres. The 4000 (i.e. with no S on the end) are the older and less popular tyres. The new ones use the Black Chilli compound which is supposed to be significantly better.

Just checking the sites and CR are £33.99 and Wiggle are at £35.99, though that includes my Wiggle discount. Full price is £40.

Wiggle definitely isn't as cheap as it was. Without my discount I don't think I'd be spending as much money there.

I think I am looking at the 4000s on both. Where are you getting your Wiggle price of £40 from? The price is showing as £36.72 for me, which includes a general 10% discount:

(http://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-grand-prix-4000s-road-tyre/) is the address I am using.