your riding ambitions this summer?

bluechair84
bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
edited June 2011 in MTB general
I'm bored, so I thought I'd start something for discussion.

Do you have any riding ambitions to complete this summer? Any trails you haven't visited that you want to get to this year? A feature that you hope to clear for the first time? A purchase to look forward to?

To get the ball rolling;
This year I will:
Get to the Alps for a riding trip (booking the ferry this week - Morzine for a car full!).
Get back up to Fort Bill as last year it killed my forks - a score is to be settled.
Enter my first DH race in July should my wrist be healed in time.

Go!

[Edit - is this better in the 'catcher for general mocking of one another's dreams?]

Comments

• DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    first XC race for me (prob August)

after my visit to Lee Quarry last Friday, honing my DH skills

trying not to buy something more AM
  • bluechair84
    DCR00 wrote:

hmmmm I hate bikes that work best in the morning. I'm a bit too lazy to be out at the crack of dawn any more.
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    I would like to do the Brecon Beast (Short) and the Cardiff Half Marathon (not bike related I know) to celebrate 1 year as a non smoker. I quit in October and these events fall the month before and the month after the aniversary iirc.
  • D-Cyph3r
    D-Cyph3r Posts: 847
    To actually get on a bike would be a nice start. Haven't ridden a single mile this year yet. :?

That will change this week though, the last bits I need are on route.
  • Win the DH world cup.
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    With our first child due to arrive any day I'm just hoping I can get some riding of any sort in this summer!

I do have a road duathlon in September though, so will be trying to get some training in on that - trying to remember what tri-bars feel like again.
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    To stop saying 'I can't ride that' before I have actually TRIED to ride it :?

When balanced upside down on my head halfway down, i'll allow myself to :wink::lol:
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Hmm my aims are arround jumping,

Moved the target from clearing all the jumps at cwm, to being able to do almost any table top that comes my way, and then to maybe add a little style in.
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    DCR00 wrote:

hmmmm I hate bikes that work best in the morning. I'm a bit too lazy to be out at the crack of dawn any more.

i cant work out if you are joking or not

i meant All Mountain :wink:
  • bluechair84
    DCR00 wrote:
    DCR00 wrote:

i cant work out if you are joking or not

i meant All Mountain :wink:

Just be thankful there isn't a PM biking style cos that'll open a whole other can of worms :o
  • bluechair84
    Hmm my aims are arround jumping,

Moved the target from clearing all the jumps at cwm, to being able to do almost any table top that comes my way, and then to maybe add a little style in.

Good one. I'd be happy if I could nail just a little tail whip or cross-up this year now I'm spending more time jumping and dropping.
  • To lose 4 and half stone.
    To bunny hop whilst cycling!
    If i can do those then i would like to give jumping a go! A Little whip is my goal for 2012!!
    If in doubt - flat out!
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    BHF South Downs Way 100 in under 13 hours would be nice. Unlikely though ;)
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    Just so long as I keep enjoying it I'll be happy as a pig in obvious! :D

Just found a couple of new descents the other day that I'm still not able to clear. One in particular is really awkward. Very loose, very steep, very narrow with some rocky drops right on the entry to tight switchbacks.

Next challenge is to conquer that I guess :D
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Complete an enduro race.
    Enter a DH race and survive
    Ride at least 3 new trail centres.
    Ride to the summit of another two mountains.

That should keep me busy this summer I reckon.
  • Jedi
    Jedi Posts: 827
    i plan on getting away to chamonix for a long weekend
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    BHF SDW randonee on a rigid singlespeed- I've done it the last two years on a proper bike, this year I'm doing it with two first timers, and I think it could be interesting in a 'knees explode and collapse on the floor halfway up truleigh hill' sort of way
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • clamps81
    clamps81 Posts: 315
    edited June 2011
    Sort out my asthma and fitness to the point where I can blast round Cwmcarn in under 1hr30. Tackle W2 and Skyline.

Edit : Oh yeah, to hit that stupid drop off on the final downhill at Cwmcarn instead of just taking the chicken run.
    Nukeproof Mega AM

Tomac Snyper - Now sadly in pieces
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    This summer I'll be commuting each day to my placement ideally. Doing a big day ride on my day off each week and getting upto Cannock at least 2 evenings in the week, plus hopefully a couple of road rides in the evenings each week.

The big aim. Get as close to 1000 miles in a month as I can.

The commuting itself will total upto 670ish miles so I need to find another 330ish in the evenings and weekends. Over 4 weeks that means I'll need to average around 85 miles a week on top of the commuting. 2 25 mile road rides in the evenings will be manageable, and then the rest of it either at cannock or elsewhere.

The challenge will come in fitting it all in and not over exerting myself. Also if the weather gets stupid the commute may have to be sacrificed.

Also I'm hoping to hit wales for a 4/5 days at some point.

To finish the summer I'll be having a week in the lakes with the family, hoping to ride at least every other day up there, need to do some family stuff just to keep the parents happy so they'll give me money for uni.

Can't wait!

At the very end of the summer I'll be buying a full bouncy bike.

Again, can't fecking wait :D
  • miss notax
    miss notax wrote:

When balanced upside down on my head halfway down, i'll allow myself to :wink::lol:

Oh yeah, and to finish the Afan Monster in August with me and my bike in one peice :D

I don't care how long it takes me (although I would rather not be last) - I just want to complete the full 100Km 8)
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

• u05harrisb
    u05harrisb Posts: 531
    start racing this year!!!, and to start getting some tech skills as apposed to just being kinda fast (:lol:)so that i can do well in racing with some tech sections :D
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    miss notax wrote:
    miss notax wrote:

Oh yeah, and to finish the Afan Monster in August with me and my bike in one peice :D

I don't care how long it takes me (although I would rather not be last) - I just want to complete the full 100Km 8)

I was considering this, not sure if I will be ready by then though, you doing the 75 or 100?
  • Rybes
    Rybes Posts: 110
    edited June 2011
    just to get out on my bike and find some trails or make newuns :D
    2004 cinder cone, grey
    madison prime seat
    3 inch handle bar risers
    bg comfort grips
    lidl seat pack
    diamond back pedals
    2009 reba sl's
    more to come......
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    just to keep riding, get fitter, and generally still try to have a blast :D must make an effort to ride the HT more, been neglected recently thanks to the susser, tbf though i dont really missed being battered around :lol:
  • miss notax
    Mojo_666 wrote:
    miss notax wrote:
    miss notax wrote:

I was considering this, not sure if I will be ready by then though, you doing the 75 or 100?

100 - 62 miles :shock:

• bwfc4eva868
    bwfc4eva868 Posts: 717
    This years main target is to stop smoking and put the miles in on the bike. Make sure i do a hour or 2 after work and one big ride on my day off.

With the above, i wanna be able to get round Gisburn without having to push up the fireroad after technical sections.

Nail the steep,rooty and very off camber chute on my local woodland trail Its a bit slippy walking down, so if i can walk down it, I'm sure we enlarged balls i will nail it.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    lawman wrote:
    just to keep riding, get fitter, and generally still try to have a blast :D must make an effort to ride the HT more, been neglected recently thanks to the susser, tbf though i dont really missed being battered around :lol:

The older you get mate, the less you miss the getting batterd on a hardtail lol :p
  • bluechair84
    I also want to try and tick off a few more trail centres; Some Staines when I go back to Fort Bill, Afan and Cwm seeing as they get mentioned practically every day but I've never ridden either of them...
  • steamboat
    steamboat Posts: 54
    I am hoping to enter in my first XC mtb race , if i can find one around my area, hoping to get a dirt jump bike and start dirt jumping
  • woodytitan
    woodytitan Posts: 163
    My main aim is to keep working on my fitness so I can get round Gisburn in less than 3 hours!!(This included Hully Gully!!!!!!!!!)
    I will ride the malhamdale loop which is about 25miles mainly off road starting and ending where i live, this is what i am mainly building up to. Only been on the bike since february but loving every minute. :D
    '11 Cannondale Trail SL3