Avid Elixir R - New Pad problems

equinefunk
equinefunk Posts: 323
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

Just changing my pads for Avid Elixir R Brakes. However I cannot get the pistons to go all the way back & when I drop the new Pads in they rub on the rotor so much so that the wheel hardly turns. I have tried to bed them in following the instructions.

I had the brakes serviced & bled etc. when the pads were very low, when they were topped up with fluid and the pistons were not all the way back could there be too much fluid in the brakes?

Any help would be appreciated.
I'm over 6' and have quite a large head.

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Yep, seems likely. Undo the bleed port screw very slightly when you push the pistons back, it'll let some of the fluid out.

Poor form by whoever bled them though, they should've pushed the pistons back and used the bleed block thingummies in place of the pads.
  • equinefunk
    Thanks I thought they would have used the blocks, but maybe they didn't. Thanks for the help.
  • aaronmroach
    aaronmroach Posts: 341
    Undo the reservoir screw on lever not on the caliper body less chance of pad contam and air ingress to the body.
  • equinefunk
    Thanks,

What if I'm being a wimp & just can't push the pistons back enough then bleed a small amount out, how will this affect the performance of the brakes?
  • aaronmroach
    aaronmroach Posts: 341
    Other way is to put old pads back in make a wedge out of some wood and push that between the pds this will push the pistons back, if not crack the scre on the lever (after orientating the lever so screws upper most) wrap a rag round the lever then force the pistons back in, nip the scre up clean the lever punt new pads in, align caliper and pump lever to get correct piston pacement!!!!

Have a go, if you fuck it up youve got to take it to the LBS any way so have a go. You will be fine tho!!
  • equinefunk
    Thanks guys, I managed to change the front without a bleed. The rear's would not go back in. Slight bleed from the Caliper & it worked a treat.