Weird crankset.

t4tomo
t4tomo Posts: 2,643
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
I was waiting at a red light crossraods this morning (that's not the weird bit) watching the traffic go pass when this chap cruises past on a bike with gold cranks with both pedals in the down position, he then flicks the right pedal to the top and pedals normally (pedals at 180^) for a while and then returns to both pedals down to freewheel a bit.

WTF is that all about, anyone lese seen such a crankset ,in which case why is it like that or was there magic mushroms in my museli?
Bianchi Infinito CV
Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
Brompton S Type
Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
Gary Fisher Aquila '98
Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    ah that looks like the fellas.

They might help your training, but they look very weird in action.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,823
    Powercransk indeed - I know someone that used these for a while - forces you to pull UP on the pedal stroke, some seem to swear by them, others poo-poo them as helping to develop something that is not, with a normal crankset, of positive use.
    Traditional thinking is that you go faster by pressing harder on the pedals down the way as opposed to pressing down hard AND by pulling up.

Meant to be a bu66er for the first few rides, muscles that you don't normally utilise are forced into hard work.
    Pretty expensive IIRC, £500+ ?
  • richVSrich
    richVSrich Posts: 527
    interesting indeed - there are qute a few youtube videos of those power cranks...guys on rollers etc showing off... :P

but that reminds me : this morning pulling off from some lights, this guy in front looked like he had gear levers on his frame? they looked like simple flick switches ...are these some home made gears??
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    richVSrich wrote:
    but that reminds me : this morning pulling off from some lights, this guy in front looked like he had gear levers on his frame? they looked like simple flick switches ...are these some home made gears??

nope that is how it used to be done.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • richVSrich
    nicklouse wrote:
    richVSrich wrote:

used to be done?? how long ago are we talking? and im not that young! :P
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Gears integrated into the brake levers were introduced in 1991*
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shimano_Total_Integration

*probably, ok 1990 according to wiki
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    richVSrich wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    richVSrich wrote:

Used to be done? The carbike I bought recently still does them that way still, though it's a Sturmey hub so that might account for something?
    http://www.cooperbikes.com/T200-steelracingbike.html
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • richVSrich wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    richVSrich wrote:

My five year old daughter was telling me last night about how people used to listen to music in "the olden days", apparently they had these black, plastic things which you put on a little table that goes round and round and a little needle went on them.

Fascinating. :P
  • That's weird :?
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    richVSrich wrote:

Hehe, not sure if that's a serious post or not. My steel road bike has "switch" downtube shifters. In my case, Suntour Accushift.

b2.jpg
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • richVSrich
    ok, consider me educated! i really did not know about the flick switches for gears :)
    you learn something new everyday right? :P

ps undercover elephant - you get two of those plastic disc table things, and you can make some tuneeeessssssss :)