XT Hub Issue

Mccraque
Mccraque Posts: 819
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I am now beginning to hate my bike. It's cost me more in repairs in the last 2 years than my last car cost me in 10 years!

So - eventually sorted the chainsuck issues of last week with two new rings.

Go to pick it up and the mechanic tells me that the XT hub is rough and that the cones are pitted. If I don't replace the axle and bearings then it's goodnight hub.

I wouldn't mind quite so much if the damn thing had not been fully serviced 6 weeks ago (and been ridden only a few times since)

Is it easy to change the axle? If so, if this the part I need?

http://www.cyclebasket.com/products.php?show=2429

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes see the how tos on Sheldons and parktools.

and maybe but unlikely.

part number of the hub? front or rear? and that is for the new design of hub and if your bike is 10years old the hubs will not be using that.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    It's for a rear M775 hub - 2009

Are you saying Nick that it's unlikely to write the hub off using it when in such a mess? Can I use it then still just replace the cones, axle and bearings? Or do I risk knackaring the shell?
  • camerauk
    camerauk Posts: 1,000
    That looks like the correct axel but it only comes with the right hand cone so you will still need a left hand cone and bearings for that side
    Specialized Camber Expert
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Mccraque wrote:
    Are you saying Nick that it's unlikely to write the hub off using it when in such a mess? Can I use it then still just replace the cones, axle and bearings? Or do I risk knackaring the shell?
    If the balls or inner cone are badly enough worn, such that the balls start to skid against the outer bearing race (part of the hub) then yes you can write off the hub.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Have you actually had a look?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • islandman
    islandman Posts: 73
    I had exactly the same happen to same hub, I put new bearings in greased well and adjusted carefully, they felt a bit rough for years until the freehub wore out, never noticed when riding so soon stopped worrying about it. Suggest you do the same, get some decent ( still cheap ) cone spanners 15mm and 17mm I think and get stuck in.