LOOK 586 RSP

Abingdon77
Abingdon77 Posts: 56
edited June 2011 in Your road bikes
In April I discovered that the bonding between the seat tube and bottom bracket lug had failed, on my 2007 585. You could move the seat tube a few mm, from side to side, in the lug.

21643910150217863951942.jpg

I spoke to my LBS who agreed it should be returned to Look. Although it took 5 weeks, there was minimal fuss and Look replaced the frame with a new 586 RSP. The service from Look wasn’t outstanding in terms of keeping me informed and updated with progress, but the end result is fantastic.

I’d also like to note my gratitude to Beeline Bicycles in Oxford. Even though I didn’t buy the frame through them, they took on the overhead of the warranty return. They stripped down the old bike and built up the new bike, for a price that, as far as I can work out, barely covered the parts I added to the new build.

For those in the area, they are opening a new Road specific shop just further down the Cowley Road.

look586rsp037comp.jpg

Frame: LOOK 586 RSP
Forks: LOOK HSC6

Bars: Deda Newton Shallow
Stem: Deda Zero100

Front Brake Lever: Sram Red
Front Caliper: Sram Red
Rear Brake Lever: Sram Red
Rear Caliper: Sram Red

Front Mech: Sram Force
Rear Mech: Sram Red
Cables: Jagwire L3

Seat: fi'zi:k Antares Braided
Seat Post: LOOK RSP

Chainset: Sram Red 50/34
Bottom Bracket: Sram GXP BlackBox Ceramic
Chain: Sram 1090R
Cassette: Shimano Dura-Ace 12-25

Pedals: Shimano Dura-Ace Carbon

Wheels: Fulcrum Racing Zero
Tyres: Vittoria Open Pave Evo CG

Other bits: Garmin Edge 500, Elite Moro d'Elite cages

Weighs in at 15.8 lbs.

Comments

• Love it! really nice build mate! i would go with black bar tape but thats just me :) . how does it ride?
    Freddie :)
    Summer: Merida Reacto Team
    Winter: Moda Bolero
    Classic: Fausto Coppi
    Mtb: Scott Scale 40
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Oh my. Reeeeeesult!

Shame to hear about the lug issue though (it's not the first :( )

Gorgeous bike, I was always put off the 586 by the impracticalities of an ISP but, well, hoorah!
  • Abingdon77
    Abingdon77 Posts: 56
    It rides like a dream Freddie. I'm not sure why but I thought it might feel a little more relaxed than the 585 it replaced, but it's not at all.

If anything, it feels more aggressive at the front end. It's stiff and really responsive. Push a little more effort through the pedals and it just goes.

My first ride (aside from once round the block to check saddle height) was the Dragon Ride on Sunday. It was comfortable all day, perfect set up for having a good crack at tough sportives.

You're right Nap, I would have started to think about replacing the 585 in the next 12-18 months but getting a 2011 frame for nowt is a proper result!

Cheers.
  • itsnotarace
    itsnotarace Posts: 518
    Stunning :) Love the Tron-esque graphics on these. Result on the warranty replacement too

Also pleased to hear about Beeline Bikes opening a new shop, they aren't too far from me and they are the best bike shop in the area imho
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I agree about the bar tape though. It would really suit some Stella Azzura Eleganza in black with white stitching -

http://www.gbcycles.co.uk/product/32365 ... a_Bar_Tape

prod_32365.jpg