Microsoft Excel Experts...

CyclingBantam
CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
edited June 2011 in The bottom bracket
... I'm hoping one of you clever people will be able to help me out.

I am trying to put a formula in excel which will mean, when in cell A1 a name is picked from a drop down list , cell B1 gets populated with appliccable data (Say, an address (which I know and I will input to excel wherever needed).

Yet for the life of me I can't seem to do it. It must be easy. Does anyone know?

Thanks,

Ben

Comments

• MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    I went on an excel training course a month or so back, I seem to remember we covered it. I'll look through the exercises for you, but I'm pretty sure that someone will beat me to it :D
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • jawooga
    jawooga Posts: 530
    Think this is the right sort of thing:

Make a table somewhere in you worksheet e.g.

___AA______ AB__
    1 Person1 Address1
    2 Person2 Address2

Make drop down list:
    Select A1. Click data from top tool bar, then validation. From Settings, Allow 'list'. Source, select the range within column AA to include all your available names.

Populate B1:
    In B1, type "=vlookup(A1, AA1:AB2, 2, FALSE)"

[
    In this case AA1:AB2 defines the range where both your Person and Address data sits.
    A1 is the field your looking up (as specified from drop down list)
    2 (third field) means look in your table AA1:AB2 for the value in A1 and return the second column which corresponds. If your lookup table had a third column with telephone number for example you could use 3 to return this in to B1.
    FALSE specifies exact match.
    ]
    hth
  • Ands
    Ands Posts: 1,437
    You could use a lookup table and a vlookup/hlookup function (lookup value x and return value y). Or if it is a small selection of options use an If statement or nested If statements.
  • CyclingBantam
    CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
    Thank you all very much! I knew you would all know!

:D
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Use Index and Match. So much more spangly.

Sorry, I am just being a smart arse as the question has already been answered and I'm a bit of an Excel nerd.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    +1

Match and Index are more flexible than the lookups
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Or write a bit of VBA to do it. Much more predictable IMO.

Too nerdy?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}