Please help with Giant XTC Headshet problems

jamiestogden
jamiestogden Posts: 52
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi

I'm having huge problems trying to remove a headset from a 2005 Giant XTC frame. I've gotten as much out as I can but the race on the top plus the bearings on the bottom just won't budge.

headset%2B1.JPG

headset%2B2.JPG

Unfortunately the reaction from Evans when I asked was 'don't know mate' can anybody help get me started? From what I've read I thought that this integrated headset didn't need any specific tools to install and remove.

Many apologies if I'm being dumb and missing something very obvious.

Thanks in advance.
Jamie

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Insert large screwdriver, whack hard with hammer.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:

Cheers dude, would that not damage the headset? I'd quite like to be able to put it back after it's been blasted and painted.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It might.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    cooldad wrote:

Cheers dude, would that not damage the headset? I'd quite like to be able to put it back after it's been blasted and painted.

then buy a rocket tool or pay someone to remove and fit it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • MattJWL
    MattJWL Posts: 147
    By rocket tool, they mean something like this: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=10223

Or go to a proper bike shop & pay them. You're almost guaranteed to screw the headset if you whack it with a screwdriver. Or buy a new headset - but getting it in without the right tool can also be tricky (yes yes I know it can be done, but it's not as easy / reliable).
    Intense Carbine SL
    "Chinarello"
    Taylor Made
    Off to pastures new:
    CELL Team Pro
    Intense Spider FRO
    Giant XTC Composite Clone
    1992 Fisher Al-1
    1990 Raleigh Mirage
    1988 Cloria Italian MTB
  • Thanks for help and advice. Just been informed by a Giant Dealer that Halfords Insurance replacement people who built the bike in the first place look to have put in the wrong headset.

In theory if I get a new one they say that with integrated headsets, as there are no cups and bearings sit directly on the frame then I won't need tools to install. Just need to get this one. At least I know it looks wrongso no longer care if it gets broken on removal :)

Now, where did I put that hammer?