Commuting with train Bristol / Bath / Chippenham

tomBux2
tomBux2 Posts: 66
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
I live in Bristol and work in Chippenham. The distance is over 20 miles so too far to do all the way on bike, but over the past few weeks I have been doing a few commutes in the week by driving to the Bath junction of the M4 (A46) and riding the rest of the way (about 12m) However some days I feel like I could do the whole distance on the way back, even though I definately wouldn't be up for that kind of distance on the way in.

So what I'm wondering is whether anyone has any experience on taking a bike on the morning Trains from Bath to Chippenham at about 8am. I figure I could ride the cycle path to Bath (nice and easy) and then get on the train the rest of the way, then cycle all the way back to Bristol in the evening.

From what I've read it seems like it's pot luck whether you will get a bike on the train or not at that time, even with a pre-booking, but wondered whether anyone has any first hand experience they could share?

Comments

• Hello tomBux2

I'm afraid I have no experience of that line, but the principle of cycling 40 miles per day...absolutely out of the question? Imagine how fit you'd be. If you have showers at work, you could view it as your morning workout. I guess you could do it in just over an hour?

I know it can be quite hilly around those parts...is the only caveat.

My only other thought is that you can just give it a shot and shove your damn bike onto the train. People will get out of you're way as they don't want to get greased up. There's always more room, especially if you're standing.

Anyway aside from that, I await someone that can tell you about that specific line.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    This is the elevation profile from Chippenham station to the A46 along the A420

image1dz.th.jpg

If you need a break mid-ride there is always the badger watching area as favoured by Ron Davis MP :oops: The rest of the ride from A46 is downhill into Warmley and the cyclepath.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • @tomBux2

Taking the bike on the train to Chippenham from Bath should be ok. There are plenty of early morning London trains which inevitably have a reasonable amount of racking though you'd struggle on the "local" carriages.

Perhaps start off with a couple of full commutes a week then build up. With the "alleged" summer in front of us you've plenty of time to get fit for the joys of the winter commute :D

And if you take the train from Bath you miss all the lovely climbing options up to Chippenham.

Kingsdown, Box, Cold Ashton, Bannerdown .... you'd be spoilt for choice

:D:D:D
    Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,387
    redvee wrote:
    This is the elevation profile from Chippenham station to the A46 along the A420

image1dz.th.jpg

If you need a break mid-ride there is always the badger watching area as favoured by Ron Davis MP :oops: The rest of the ride from A46 is downhill into Warmley and the cyclepath.

Do you mean Tog Hill? Yeah, that carpark does have a bit of a reputation, but the ride down into Wick is pretty awesome.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    rjsterry wrote:
    Do you mean Tog Hill? Yeah, that carpark does have a bit of a reputation, but the ride down into Wick is pretty awesome.

That's the place though I think it's actually Togg Hill.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,387
    redvee wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

That's the place though I think it's actually Togg Hill.

I wondered about that, but Google says no.

There are so many good descents off the A46/Cotswold escarpment <sigh> grumblegrumblebloodyflatLondongrumblegrumble
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • tomBux2
    Thanks for all the input guys. I'd love to do the whole way, but apart from my initial lack of fitness, the ride is more like 30 miles than 20, with some pretty hardcore climbs in there too, I reckon it would just drain me a bit too much for a day's work. I might just have to give it a go one day, and see how it works out. Unfortuantely it proves impossible to talk to anyone actually in the station, always end up getting put through to call centres! :x
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Have a look at the Cycle Journey Planner, using the default option (quietest) it selects a route on quiet roads whilst minimising hills. Chipenham to Bristol comes out at about 30 miles with 915ft of climbing (not too bad :wink: ) - see the route here. It may not make the thing doable but the route planner may be helpful for the parts you do cycle. I have discovered some great routes around Bristol using this (and downloading to my Garmin) that I would never have found otherwise.
  • tomBux2
    Cheers, mate, I'll have a look at that. That's an interesting alternative to the route I do (2nd section) ... Longer but flatter.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Don't work for a company that has the name "Sun" in the title do you?
  • tomBux2
    No mate, not me! You know someone else doing the same route then?
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    No, I used to work in Chippenham at Methuen Park for a bunch of amateurs called......in fact when I joined they went through 3 name changes. I think they are now owned by private equity group now. Big techie company.