Another 'which road bike?' thread

CRAIGO5000
CRAIGO5000 Posts: 697
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
My budget is £500 for either a new or second hand road bike having been bitten by the bug with my Trek Hybrid that I've made as close to a road bike as possible with a cut down flat bar, 700x25 tyres, SPDs etc. I want to take things further and get a decent road bike for the commute and loooong weekend rides.

From what I've seen there are a few decent choices in terms of "new" bikes.

1. Specialized Allez
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/allez-16-2011-road-bike-ec025025?query=specialized%20allez
Reviews: Good frame, quite fast but the later models have poor spec STI components and most people are now saying that the newer bikes aren't as well equipped as the older models.

2. Kona Honky Tonk (with gears!)
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/kona/honky-tonk-2010-road-bike-ec021789?query=kona%20honky%20tonk
This has a steel frame good for commuting but is as light as the Allez. I guess a test ride is the only way to see which fits the bill.

3. BTwin Triban 5
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/triban-5-172072740/
This is a nice looking Decathlon road spec bike within the budget with a decent frame, carbon forks and from what I can see, it has better components than the two above as standard. Sora? (I'm not too up on what components are better that others?)

Primarily for me the bike needs to be fast for the effort I put in.
My Trek FX is surprisingly fast and I find I keep up easily if not pass most road bikers on my 7 mile commute (I now average 17-18mph over the week = SCR ;) ) but the ride position is more upright and hence wind resistance is high. Is it THAT much better on a road bike that I should be throwing £500 in that direction for more aero and more hand positions? I've never rode a road bike so I want to be assured I'm heading in the right direction to gain a few more average mph's if possible.

I can afford to wait for a second hand bargain if it's worth the wait so what other kind of models should I keep my eye out for on ebay etc?

If I choose the second hand route (which is more favourable) what size frame should I be looking at being 5'10'' and having long 34 inch legs and also long arms?

Thanks!
Craig
Ribble Stealth/SRAM Force
2007 Specialized Allez (Double) FCN - 3

Comments

• CRAIGO5000
    This one looks half decent to me - is it?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vitus-Alios-Tripl ... 3cb88c20d1

and I've heard posters on here saying Campagnolo are the best components too.

Trouble is I'm in bloody Portugal atm and it ends soon... :?
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    If you can stretch just a little Ribble do their Audax frame with Tiagra for £579, and their Road frame with the same group for £589.

Those are seriously good deals.

Shimano components go (in ascending order of cost) 2200, Sora, Tiagra, 105, Ultegra, Dura-Ace.

That Vitus looks like a good deal if the sizing is right for you.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    CRAIGO5000 wrote:
    If I choose the second hand route (which is more favourable) what size frame should I be looking at being 5'10'' and having long 34 inch legs and also long arms?

Size is really personal, which is one reason for buying new so that you can try before you buy. As a generalisation I suspect you will want a 56cm frame. I am the same height as you, but prefer a 54/55 as my shoulders slope and they get tense if I overstretch.

With a £500 budget I would be inclined to go for second-hand as there will be far better bikes available. You have to check thoroughly and do your research, but bargains are definitely there to be had.

Personally, I way prefer the steel frame/carbon fork combo for commuting than anything aluminium as it is more comfortable and somehow feels more 'alive' (to my mind at least).
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Go second hand, its amazing how many people have spotless road bikes covered in upgrades that they never bothered to use.
  • CRAIGO5000
    Are brands hugely different in terms of frame sizing or is a 56cm frame actually accurate? I can always adjust saddle/stem etc to suit more personally so long as the frame is accurate for example. I could try out a few sizes in a LBS and make sure 56 would suit and then go on a second-hand bargain hunt.

Also going back to my original question, is a road bike going to make me a little faster?
  • CRAIGO5000 wrote:
    Are brands hugely different in terms of frame sizing or is a 56cm frame actually accurate? I can always adjust saddle/stem etc to suit more personally so long as the frame is accurate for example. I could try out a few sizes in a LBS and make sure 56 would suit and then go on a second-hand bargain hunt.

Also going back to my original question, is a road bike going to make me a little faster?

I guess that depends on which Trek hybrid you have and which road bike you get. Road bikes are generally faster; certainly it's been a long while since anything with a flat-bar gave me any hassle.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Generally yes, more efficient certainly, especially in windy situations,
  • Oh and there was a round-up of £500 road bikes in the commuting special copy of Cycling Plus, they seemed to rate the Raleigh Airlight 300 and the Carrera Vanquish for that price, if I rem,ember correctly. Here's a round up I found also:

http://www.wintertraining.co.uk/whats-t ... ing-bikes/
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,387
    CRAIGO5000 wrote:

There is some variation between manufacturers because of the different geometries of each frame - the angles of each tube. There is some advice here for road frames, and you can also see a corresponding chart for hybrids, but like clothes sizing, if you are unusually proportioned, you might need to go up or down a size to find a comfortable fit.

A road bike may make you a little faster, but more accurately, it'll encourage you to ride faster, as you won't want to be overtaken by people on hybrids and MTBs - see Silly Commuting Racing for further details.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I really regret not getting a CAAD (especially the CAAD 9) that isn't the CAAD 10.

I also regret not getting a 08' Bianchi via nirone (the entry frame road bike), beatiful in green.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • chadders81
    chadders81 Posts: 744
    +1 for second hand. I got a perfectly usable and hardly ridden Peugeot for £83 of eBay. It's steel framed and the dropout spacings are 130mm so not massively modern but it's got STI shifters and internal cable routing.

After a £35 service and new tyres it runs like a dream.

I reckon that if you budget yourself £400 for a bike and save £100 for getting it running properly you could get an absolute steal.

Loads of Boardmans and CAADs in that price range.
  • ste_
    ste_ Posts: 124
    CRAIGO5000 wrote:
    1. Specialized Allez
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/allez-16-2011-road-bike-ec025025?query=specialized%20allez
    Reviews: Good frame, quite fast but the later models have poor spec STI components and most people are now saying that the newer bikes aren't as well equipped as the older models.

True. I bought a good 2nd hand one for £250 to use on my commute. Haven't regretted it once.
  • CRAIGO5000
    Cheers for the links guys, that Williams looks and sounds ace but I think it'd hurt my back too much being an inch over his recommended height for the frame with that stem.

How about this? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140560783164&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

It's Large which the owner thinks is a 55cm frame, but the owner says he's 5'11'' (1 inch taller than me) but I also have long 34inch legs and long arms too.

If I was at home I could round to try it but I'm still on hols. Also it's been upgraded too and still in warranty.

Cheers!
    Craig
  • chadders81
    chadders81 Posts: 744
    CRAIGO5000 wrote:
    Cheers for the links guys, that Williams looks and sounds ace but I think it'd hurt my back too much being an inch over his recommended height for the frame with that stem.

How about this? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140560783164&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

It's Large which the owner thinks is a 55cm frame, but the owner says he's 5'11'' (1 inch taller than me) but I also have long 34inch legs and long arms too.

If I was at home I could round to try it but I'm still on hols. Also it's been upgraded too and still in warranty.

Cheers!
    Craig

Yeah - didn't realise how tiny the Williams was.

It looks a nice bike and either seems to have been very well looked after or, more likely, not used much.

The great thing about buying of ebay is that as long as you're sensible, you can buy a bike and even if you don't like it, sell it a week later for a similar price.
  • CRAIGO5000
    As of yesterday, I'm now the proud owner or a 2008 model (I think?) Specialized Allez. It's barely been broken in and has only covered 270 miles and looks like it's just been put together. :lol:

Here she is:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWNX:IT

Because it's been sitting in a garage for most of it's life the inner tubes were shot so I took advantage of Evans Specialized £2.49 offer and fitted the new ones tonight. After a few hours spent re-indexing the gears and swapping in my Shimano M520 pedals, I took it for a few miles test ride and I've been blown away - I didn't want to get off the damn thing!

Cheers for your help guys.

p.s. size wise for me the 54cm frame is perfect. I can't understand how, but trying a 56cm which according to the sizing charts is correct, is just too big.
  • CRAIGO5000 wrote:
    As of yesterday, I'm now the proud owner or a 2008 model (I think?) Specialized Allez. It's barely been broken in and has only covered 270 miles and looks like it's just been put together. :lol:

Here she is:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWNX:IT

Because it's been sitting in a garage for most of it's life the inner tubes were shot so I took advantage of Evans Specialized £2.49 offer and fitted the new ones tonight. After a few hours spent re-indexing the gears and swapping in my Shimano M520 pedals, I took it for a few miles test ride and I've been blown away - I didn't want to get off the damn thing!

Cheers for your help guys.

p.s. size wise for me the 54cm frame is perfect. I can't understand how, but trying a 56cm which according to the sizing charts is correct, is just too big.

That's a good buy and a nice bike. Looks in lovely condition. And the best news is the price, why with the money you saved, you could start thinking about upgrades... A nice set of wheels perhaps? :twisted:
  • CRAIGO5000
    New wheels would be great but I think I've spent enough (for now ;) ). I'm kind of gutted I bought the hybrid brand new from Evans in the first place and that was only in February.
    :x Typically, I knew after only a few weeks of ownership that I had bought the wrong type of bike for my needs.

One thing I have noticed, my shoulder sockets are quite achy today. I guess I never used those muscles on the hybrid with it's more upright position compared to the Allez.

I think I've set-up the bike quite well for my size so hopefully It'll pass.
  • Save the hybrid for winter and load hauling, which is what I do with my sirrus. Road bike is way faster, seem to go about 2-3mph faster for same effort and when it's windy it really helps that you can get in an aero position.
    Dolan Preffisio
    2010 Cube Agree SL
  • ste_
    ste_ Posts: 124
    The Allez looks great.

Looks to be the same vintage as mine -which I hadn't realised was an '08, I'd assumed it was older.
  • CRAIGO5000
    I'm not 100% on the year to be honest. I just googled the Allez and the spec, colour and frame all come up as 2008.

I think I might sell the Trek now as I really feel I won't use it at all which is a shame to have sitting in a garage de-valued - it may as well go to a good home.

In terms of speed difference for the same effort on the same routes to and from work I'm a good 3 mph faster on the Allez which is really noticable when cruising. I can sit at 20/21mph on the flats comfortably where as on the Trek I was comfortable at 17/18mph.

It rocks! :D