Chest infection- when can I resume 100% effort?

lvquestpaddler
lvquestpaddler Posts: 416
Sods law, it just had to happen, got through the winter without a sniffle, and now less than 4 weeks from a sponsored event I'm doing I've been floored by flu, which has got into the lungs. Most of the flu aches/sweats etc have gone but my chest is fooked. I'd slacked off the aerobic training through May too(gales and priority jobs around the house, have to strike a balance!) planning to hit it hard starting last Tuesday, which I did and by Thursday I knew the worst thing(bar breaking/tearing something!) that could have happened to me in the months run up had.... :(
So- recommended advice is no hard aerobic exertion, can't do that right now still wheezing and coughing up crap so can't do much anyway. Will just need to keep walking the dog 6 miles a day(the event will prob involve a 6 mile walk uphill anyway now so may as well get used to it and doing it quick!) to keep some leg strength.
I don't want to go to the docs, MTFU and all that, but when would be safe to start actually going out on the bike and going for it flat out? When I stop bringing phlegm up? When the cough goes?
I've been coughing so hard I now have sore ribs and need to hold my forearms against the chest when I need to cough it's that bad...
(Should have done car park duties at the event like I usually do....!)

Comments

• stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Had a bad chest winter before last and it absolutely floored me. Took me 2 weeks before I could ride the bike after I stopped bringing up the green jelly. If your bringing up phlegm your still unwell dont what ever you do do any hard excercise or you will do yourself a mischief.

Only you know when to get back to riding take it easy and build up over a few rides. Took me a month of riding before I was back to where I had been 2 months previously. Had to bail out of 2 rides with my mates because I just couldnt get up a big climb.

Look after yourself and I hope you mend quickly.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Was coughing up spots of blood with the muck this morning so made an appointment- bottom line it's a major chest infection, on antibiotics for a week now. Been advised that anything but light exercise is not advised and that walking the dog is fine. Yesterday though my usual route walking the dog took ages longer and was having to stop on the hillier bits to get my breath.
    The event is the Corrieyairack which now looks like it will go like this- 2 miles from start to bottom of hill fairly level can bike that. next 7 miles to summit push bike. Summit to changeover 7 mile descent- gravity can do the work. Changeover wheels to road tyred ones then 26 mile undulating but genarally downhill to finish, go for it and suffer the consequences later.
    Thought of changing categories to walk/cycle but may as well push the bike and actually bike some of the first stage.
    Will just have to see what happens in the next week or so but pretty pi**ed off right now :evil: :evil: :evil:
  • Went out for the first time in 3 weeks this evening, did a 24 mile road bike on my 9spd rigid mtb(with knobblies) in 1hr 50mins, the route having a steady climb of 750ft. Everything felt fine while out, no leg fatigue or coughing, but now I'm back indoors I can feel it, just a tad breathless...what the hell it's done will see how I am in the morning but mentally I feel a whole lot better for getting out! 8)
  • Magic! Bring it on! :lol:
  • 1340jas
    1340jas Posts: 217
    My next door neighbour trained whilst he had a chest infection. nothing serious just a load of flegm on hisd chest. The infection would not clear so he kept training.
    Here's the rub, the infection got worse and he has ended up with a heart condition which has meant having his heart stopped and restarted twice.
    all the doctors have told him that you should not train when you have any form of chest infection.
    I used to train through every cough cold and occaisional flu bugs. Not any more having seen the mess he got into.
    See your Doc and leave it alone until you don't cough anymore.
  • Lmj87
    Lmj87 Posts: 7
    The last thing you want to do is start training before you are fully recovered. I was advised to wait for a few days after recovering before starting to train again. Your body is still recovering after you feel better and can take longer than you expect.

The best thing you can do is sleep as much as possible and keep up with stretches so that you don't stiffen up.

Hope that you recover!
  • Thanks for the advice, but I know I'm well over the worst of it. Yesterday did 52 miles on the road(it's the actual road distance part of the event (which is 26 miles), but we went up to the start and back) at a fairly reasonable pace and all feels well. Legs were tired once I got home, but I've doubled my distance from last week. The event is this Saturday coming and mentally I feel a whole lot better knowing I've done this. Taking it easy this week though, plenty fast long walks with the dog up the hills/forests at the back.
    It's the first time I've ever used "frankenstein" foods to support the ride- ie SIS powder and some gels. Maybe it's psychological but my energy never dropped and we averaged 15mph(not brilliant I know!!). I used to go out for hours and eat nothing, just water...I now realise I must have been slowly draining the reserves.