21 vs 24 gears on a hybrid?

fredfredfred
fredfredfred Posts: 6
edited June 2011 in Commuting general
I'm looking for a hybrid thats more road than mountain and I've settled on the 61cm Kona Dew frame. I've the option of a 24 gear variant with mudguards and rack in red for 300GBP or a 21 gear variant with mudguards and rack in black for 295GBP.

I'm after a bike that's comfortable to do 50-60 mile rides for leisure on. I live in Essex so that'll be mainly flat mileage but I don't want to be caught out if I come up against a gradient that's normal for the rest of the UK. Any advice please?

Comments

• ndru
    ndru Posts: 382
    TBH I have 5 gears on my bike, and after a year I decided that 3 would be enough. It's not about the number of gears as about the range. I am sure that you can do away with 21 gears.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I think the Dew is more mountain than road as far as hybrids go.
  • ndru wrote:
    TBH I have 5 gears on my bike, and after a year I decided that 3 would be enough. It's not about the number of gears as about the range. I am sure that you can do away with 21 gears.

It did occur to me that most of the ratios would be nearly identical. Thanks for confirming this.
    alfablue wrote:

Well I'm coming from cheap mountain bikes into the hybrid arena so I hadn't realised this was the case, thanks.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    alfablue wrote:

but then there is the Dew Drop :wink:http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... -10-37661/

I would put the Dew in-between MTB and road. as it is neither really but i would put it nearer a road bike for sizing.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    7-speed cassettes are getting less common and getting the range you want in a replacement is not always easy (in my experience), so if all other things were even, I'd go for the eight.
  • jamesco wrote:
    7-speed cassettes are getting less common and getting the range you want in a replacement is not always easy (in my experience), so if all other things were even, I'd go for the eight.

Assuming that is correct (and I will as I know no better) that's the sort of sage advice I needed. The 8 speed it is.

The Dew I've picked doesn't have dropped or bar ends and I'm actually thinking of fitting a stem extender for a more upright seating position. Not the most efficient position but I'm aiming for a little more comfort and am willing to trade a bit of speed.
  • jeremyrundle
    jeremyrundle Posts: 1,014
    Don't know I have 27 on one, 24 on the other, and I pind it easier going with more as you have a wider chouce if ratios.
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Wow, 1 more usable ratio makes such a difference to you?

I would say that for a fiver get the 8, not for the extra gears, but for the future proofing.

A chap who works in my building uses a Dew for commuting, it's a little heavy but fairly free rolling.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    I used to ride around Mid-Essex / North Essex on a 6 speed (12 gears) road bike and found very few hills which caused problems so you should be okay.

You need to look at the number of teeth on the largest cog at the back. If this is the same on both bikes (assuming the front rings have the same number of teeth) then they will both have the same lowest gear for hills (like wise with the smallest cog at the back for 'top' gear). Quite often the difference is the number of teeth on the in-between cogs and therefore the jump between gears. Smaller jumps give smoother gear changes.

I'd also recommend the 8 speed version because it is a well known fact that red bikes are faster :D
    Steve C
  • nicklouse
    TBH for commuting what is wrong with a hub gear set up?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    nicklouse wrote:
    TBH for commuting what is wrong with a hub gear set up?

Punctures :evil: Especially when you've forgotten your 15mm spanned and 2 x 10mm spanners (to release the rear hub brake) and it is dark and raining... Although to be honest since I've switched to slime tubes I haven't (touch wood) had any punctures but I bet I will tomorrow :D
    Steve C
  • nicklouse
    carry a spare endless tube. no need to remove the wheel.
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    I would say that for a fiver get the 8, not for the extra gears, but for the future proofing.

I'd concur with that. 7 speed is getting less common.
    There is no secret ingredient...