Wiggle Dragon Ride 2011 Timings...

Comments

• Boleynboy
    Boleynboy Posts: 83
    That official apology is awful.
    The instructions said attach the number to the bars where it can be seen, but do not wrap it around any tubing, so the majority of riders, like me, attached it to the bars in front of the stem with a slight kink in it, and the chips have failed miserably.
    To try and blame it on the riders is a massive passing of the buck, we should be entitled to money back as they have not provided what we paid for, a timed event!
    UCI event next year, what a joke, I hope they struggle for entries and everybody votes with their pedals by not entering!
  • GeorgeShaw
    GeorgeShaw Posts: 764
    It's a major fiasco. The concept was obviously not tested properly beforehand - you know, give it to 100 chimpanzees and see what they do, and how many work. If the system is so sensitive that 70-odd percent have failed, then it's the wrong system to use.

I'm now waiting for a humble apology, which hopefully will appear on this forum soon, as I'm sure they're monitoring it (and if they're not, then they're not doing their job).
  • welshside
    welshside Posts: 63
    edited June 2011
    Such a shame....

Cracking event, ruinned for me.. Trainned hard all year to get a good place, no result....

Wiggle really should be doing better..
  • senoj
    senoj Posts: 213
    The timing chips are ordered from Race Ahead

Ive just had an email saying they are carrying out trials on the samples handed to them after the race and some that werent handed out.

Some did not tie them on correctly, but they do not believe the riders were at fault.

Not defending them as I sent the email because I was so annoyed,just have to wait i suppose.
  • Perhpas a better way (as suggested by my wife) would be to have different start times for the medio and gran fondo - with different coloured numebrs.

The Gran Fondo riders start first (as likely they'll be finishing later). That way at least the Gran Fondo riders have a chance of beating the cut-off time (supposing they all start by the alotted time of course).

Simple innit really...................
  • Sejo
    can you post the email from Race Ahead ?
  • Boleynboy wrote:
    ... entitled to money back as they have not provided what we paid for, a timed event!!

I must be missing something here. Can anybody explain why we would NOT be entitled to our money back on this basis. The timing company have admitted that the instructions were not good enough.
    clear we provided insufficient guidance of how to attach the number to the bike without damaging or reducing the effectiveness of the chip
    There now seems to be doubt in their eyes that the timing kit was not good enough either.
  • I'm not sure I'd like to be in the organisers shoes..........
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    I'm not sure I'd like to be in the organisers shoes..........

Do you say that in response to this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEww-qXr ... re=related

I wasn't at the event because of the bad reviews from the past..... Traffic jams/queues/litter/cost etc and now they seem to have added to the problems, well no bloody wonder the UCI are interested in it. Should cost even more for you guys to get thoroughly pissed off in the future.

Shropshire Highland Challenge next for me, lovely event from Ludlow £8 to enter short queue to register and biro timing (spares at hand) and a medal. Great refreshments and stunning views with hardly any litter.

Civilization as it used to be
    . :lol:
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Ron Stuart wrote:
    I'm not sure I'd like to be in the organisers shoes..........

Do you say that in response to this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEww-qXr ... re=related

I wasn't at the event because of the bad reviews from the past..... Traffic jams/queues/litter/cost etc and now they seem to have added to the problems, well no bloody wonder the UCI are interested in it. Should cost even more for you guys to get thoroughly pissed off in the future.

Shropshire Highland Challenge next for me, lovely event from Ludlow £8 to enter short queue to register and biro timing (spares at hand) and a medal. Great refreshments and stunning views with hardly any litter.

Civilization as it used to be
    . :lol:

the dtag in the vid is what i've been given loads of times in the half marathons I've run but without the dtag clip, the glue is strong enough to hold it even in the wet. Seems an obvious choice to me. Gutted for all those who rode it though, and I'm surprised no ones blamed the obvious.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    There is clearly a problem with the timing card.
    I had mine perfectly flat and it did not work.
    I am not bothered really as it was only a training ride for me but for some people who trained hard specifically for this event and looked forward to getting a time,it is not good.
    Why did they change fromthe previous method of chip in the wheel skewer? At least it worked.
    There are way to many people that did not get a time for it to have been just the way the number was fitted.
    Anyway with that type of circuitry designt they should be able to flex a bit.
    I got my time from garmin, though I do not use it often.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/90764416
  • Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    I am not bothered really as it was only a training ride for me

you paid £35 for a training ride..?? Mine don't cost me anything... ;)
  • oldwelshman
    :D well I did not manage to get into any race and I was down there training on track thursday and friday and I took someones place.
    I do not think I will be doing it again though.
    I had hopre to do group ride but the start was so bad that was impossible as I was so far back. Still good training ride though :D
  • Ron Stuart
    Pseudonym wrote:

Training ride don't believe it, his ride time was virtually the same as the elapsed time (virtually no stops in the Medio Fondo) he was up for getting around ASAP, no casual training ride here. Time was good though but only one proper climb. Certainly £32 for a training ride seems rather a lot as my training rides don't cost me anything either. :shock:
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Ron Stuart wrote:
    Pseudonym wrote:

Training ride don't believe it, his ride time was virtually the same as the elapsed time (virtually no stops in the Medio Fondo) he was up for getting around ASAP, no casual training ride here. Time was good though but only one proper climb. Certainly £32 for a training ride seems rather a lot as my training rides don't cost me anything either. :shock:

I made my first stop on the top of the Bwlch on the Gran. But only to help my mate and his deep section wheel issue. Had I been doing the Medio I would have ploughed on. The route back to the start is pretty much a TT at that point.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • oldwelshman

Sorry to dissapoint you but I did do it for training :D I did not plan to stop as I know how chaotic the stops are and theres no need to stop if you have your own drink and food, which I prefer anyway.
    I started late and the stops I passed were like a stampeed so I am glad I did not stop.I would not have stopped had I done the long route either.
    The only stop I had was for lights at port talbot ( oh and a group of about 20 rode right through them at right turn on crossroads!!)
    I suppose I could have done same as some and jumped the queue at the start to join fast groups but as it was I started with a mixture medio riders and short route riders and no fast groups so I did all but about 5 miles alone.
    Not sure why you dont believe it was a training ride,I have couple of championship vets races coming up so this was good prep, thats why I did not do long route.
    Glad I did not as I would have been even wetter :D
  • Ron Stuart

Sorry to dissapoint you but I did do it for training :D I did not plan to stop as I know how chaotic the stops are and theres no need to stop if you have your own drink and food, which I prefer anyway.
    I started late and the stops I passed were like a stampeed so I am glad I did not stop.I would not have stopped had I done the long route either.
    The only stop I had was for lights at port talbot ( oh and a group of about 20 rode right through them at right turn on crossroads!!)
    I suppose I could have done same as some and jumped the queue at the start to join fast groups but as it was I started with a mixture medio riders and short route riders and no fast groups so I did all but about 5 miles alone.
    Not sure why you dont believe it was a training ride,I have couple of championship vets races coming up so this was good prep, thats why I did not do long route.

Not in the least disappointed mate, more like curious about why someone who shows such detachment from an event would bother entering and taking someone else’s place, someone who would find it a bit more of an achievement to take part.
    Pseudonym, asked if you had paid the thirty odd quid to enter, as I could understand the training ride a bit better if you hadn't, you say you wouldn't have stopped for the GF route which is also interesting as presumably you would be taking all the fuel need on board for that too?
    Lastly to think that it's just a training ride is fine but mentioning it on this forum is a least insensitive to those others that aspire to these types of events and would find this type of comment belittling, which isn't cool. I would expect more tact from a Vet.
  • vs
    vs Posts: 468
    Lastly to think that it's just a training ride is fine but mentioning it on this forum is a least insensitive to those others that aspire to these types of events and would find this type of comment belittling, which isn't cool. I would expect more tact from a Vet.

+1
  • oldwelshman
    Ron Stuart wrote:

Not in the least disappointed mate, more like curious about why someone who shows such detachment from an event would bother entering and taking someone else’s place, someone who would find it a bit more of an achievement to take part.
    Pseudonym, asked if you had paid the thirty odd quid to enter, as I could understand the training ride a bit better if you hadn't, you say you wouldn't have stopped for the GF route which is also interesting as presumably you would be taking all the fuel need on board for that too?
    Jesus wept whats your problem?
    Yes I would have done whole ride with no stops as I prefer my own energy drinks and food from previous experience on the dragon they ran out of food and drink so always better to be prepared.
    Many people do this ride for different reasons,some do it as prep for marmotte some for personal challengesome for charity,,I just chose to do it for road race training as I was there for this weekend anyway.
    Why should I not mention my reasons for enterring? I Unlike some people I actually paid to take some ones place so I supported the event, I could have just tagged on the ride as I know some do, but I chose to support it properly.
    I did not do the long ride as it is not the ideal prep for the races I have entrred but the shorter route is. I also enjoy riding round with others and having a chat, unfortunatekly this time only rode with others for short periods.
    I did have a chat with a few and also gave encouragement to those I passed who sometimes looked to be struggling, I thought thats what these events are all about? Are you saying only the type of people you approve of should do it or just that they should not say their reasons for doing it on an open forum?
    If some people are upset becuase I said I did it for training then they need to get out more !!
    By the way I think the comment by Pseudonym was tongue in cheek.
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    "An achievement to take part"? Jesus. It is indeed an astonishing accomplishment to pay someone a fee and turn up with a bike and kit.

Having said that, apparently UCI Pro Ben Simmons didn't manage it so perhaps I'm being harsh.
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart wrote:

Yes I would have done whole ride with no stops as I prefer my own energy drinks and food from previous experience on the dragon they ran out of food and drink so always better to be prepared.
    Many people do this ride for different reasons,some do it as prep for marmotte some for personal challengesome for charity,,I just chose to do it for road race training as I was there for this weekend anyway.
    Why should I not mention my reasons for enterring? I Unlike some people I actually paid to take some ones place so I supported the event, I could have just tagged on the ride as I know some do, but I chose to support it properly.
    I did not do the long ride as it is not the ideal prep for the races I have entrred but the shorter route is. I also enjoy riding round with others and having a chat, unfortunatekly this time only rode with others for short periods.
    I did have a chat with a few and also gave encouragement to those I passed who sometimes looked to be struggling, I thought thats what these events are all about? Are you saying only the type of people you approve of should do it or just that they should not say their reasons for doing it on an open forum?
    If some people are upset becuase I said I did it for training then they need to get out more !!

The clue is in the text, which if you read more attentively might improve your spelling. :roll:
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    Don't worry about it oldwelshman, there's a few on here with grumpy old man syndrome at the moment, I'm suffering with it myself but I should shake it off by the end of the week when I hope my right hamstring feels better and my ar$e gets over the feeling of being through a session with Graham Norton :lol:

As for me, I got round the Gran Fondo in a disappointing 7:58 overall (7:20 moving) - my main mistake was taking energy drink (not my usual electrolyte) and had to ride through cramp on 3 occasions. Another mistake was going for a bike fit the week before and dropping my saddle height by 18mm.

One positive for me was leading out a group of 10 or so battle weary guys to the finish for the last 5k - surprisingly I felt fairly strong until the last 200 metres when I dropped down to 20mph on the home straight but had nothing left to offer at that point.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • oldwelshman
    Ron Stuart wrote:
    Ron Stuart wrote:

The clue is in the text, which if you read more attentively might improve your spelling. :roll:
    Wow english teacher also. Unfortunately I am typing on a phone with an extremely small keyboard, using athritic fingers and thumbs and with ailing eyesight cannot read the txt too well to check it, glad you spotted mistakes though. :roll:
  • oldwelshman
    Benno68 wrote:
    Don't worry about it oldwelshman, there's a few on here with grumpy old man syndrome at the moment, I'm suffering with it myself but I should shake it off by the end of the week when I hope my right hamstring feels better and my ar$e gets over the feeling of being through a session with Graham Norton :lol:

As for me, I got round the Gran Fondo in a disappointing 7:58 overall (7:20 moving) - my main mistake was taking energy drink (not my usual electrolyte) and had to ride through cramp on 3 occasions. Another mistake was going for a bike fit the week before and dropping my saddle height by 18mm.

One positive for me was leading out a group of 10 or so battle weary guys to the finish for the last 5k - surprisingly I felt fairly strong until the last 200 metres when I dropped down to 20mph on the home straight but had nothing left to offer at that point.
    WEll done :D
    I think a few cramped, it was quite cold also, I felt twinges going up the bwlch.
    I saw oneguy drop his saddle 25mm at the start line and tilt it right forward , wonder how he got on ? :D
  • Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    Ron Stuart wrote:

Ron - my post was a tongue-in-cheek aside - nothing more. I was not quizzing OW on his choice of ride, that is none of my business.

I also ride sportives for training, incidentally. I'm riding the Tour of Pembs on Sunday just for a bit of a laugh as I have a fair bit of racing coming up in June/July. And I'm not taking anyone else's place, as there's still plenty of room... ;)
  • senoj
    senoj Posts: 213
    Sejo
    can you post the email from Race Ahead ?

I'd rather not m8 as it was from one of the organisers of the event,it said what i posted.
    I just drew attention to the fact that they are dissapointed and they are looking into it.

The horse has bolted though.
  • vs
    From the front page of the Dragon site

The email address for you to contact Raceahead or state your complaints about the timing is dragonride@raceahead.net
  • I can understand why the Dragon Ride organising team are keen to point out who the providers of the timing system are, but my dealings have been with the Dragon Ride organisation, not with Raceahead. So I think for them to say just say~" The email address for you to contact Raceahead or state your complaints about the timing is dragonride@raceahead.net " isnt quite right IMO.

Still.... there are worse things that not getting a time for a Sportive! I think it's just that we all expected a bit more from supposedly the premier event in the UK.
  • Brakeless
    Brakeless Posts: 865
    I think the Dragonride organisers are behaving appallingly. The only thing on thier website is passing the buck to the timing system suppliers.
    Nothing about the ridiculous queues at the start which led to people who had paid and trained for the long ride not being able to do it because the organisers were too dimwitted to extend the cut off time.
    This was purely the fault of the organisers and they really should at the very least be apologising.
    They have taken peoples money in return for a service that has not been provided, they may not be technically responsible for the timing issue but the contract (and if money has been exchanged for a service then a contract has been entered into) is between the riders and the organisers.
    Legalities aside the organisers really should show some form of 'goodwill' here.
  • vs
    I think the non-extension of the cut off time for the long ride to the riders who waited for one and a half hours to start is a really big issue (it's not as if they would run out of daylight hours as, for example, the Exmoor Beast would).

You could say you could carry on with the 200km on your own but that is not what you paid for and they were removing the signs as an added bonus (and of course the feed).