Chain Suck

Mccraque
Mccraque Posts: 819
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Help!

I am really fed up. My bike's been booked in 3 time now...firstly for a new BB and resolution of a creak - the latter of which has not been resolved. Took it back a second time for re-examination, having charged me for the fix initially (and failing) and I mentioned that the chain had also worn to 0.75 and that it would need a new one. As they had the bike, they offered to fit it...but then phoned me to say that the XT cassette was worn too. Could this be the case at 0.75%? I thought 1% was the point at which things got damaged.

Anyway - I took their word for it.

They replaced the chain, jockey wheels and cassette, charged me more for the privelege. And guess what? With the new components, I am now getting chain suck. Fine when on the bike stand and you're just turning the cranks...but as soon as pressure goes through the pedals - the chain pings up and down (as if catching on the chainrings) . With hill climbing - the chain completely JAMS around the chainring. It never did this at all on the old chain.

So....the bike is back with the shop - actually - another branch of the same chain (as I am so disillusioned with the most local branch) who've not managed to sort anything out still charged me near £180 for all my recent "repairs". This one's a freebie, so I am told...I think they sensed my anger.

As a matter of course, what I am wondering, is if it could now be the chainrings. Would running a SRAM 951 chain to .75% wear really damage all the chain rings, or is it more likely that the cause is the new chain they fitted?

thanks.

Comments