Stem Advice!....

pseymour
pseymour Posts: 194
edited June 2011 in MTB beginners
I want to upgrade the stem on my Giant Anthem X3.
I'm using it for trail riding and am finding it difficult to pull manuals (losing a bit of weight would be good too). I know the stem won't solve my Manuals problem, but I think it might help. My current stem is 100mm with 8 degree rise. I'm looking to get a 70mm stem with the same amount of 8 degree rise. Is this the right option to help me get easier manuals. I have riser bars, and am quite happy with those at the moment. Any stem advice would be welcome. Cheers, Pete.
Giant Anthem X3 2010.

Comments

• bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    I think the general concensus is that stems over 80mm are too long for anything now-a-days, you'd be better off with a bigger frame instead of a lnoger stem. A 70mm will probably be good for an Anthem. As for whether it will help with manuals... yes slightly, but technique has a bigger influence. It should certainly make the bike feel nicer across singletrack.
  • vanamees
    vanamees Posts: 75
    I think the general concensus is that stems over 80mm are too long for anything now-a-days, you'd be better off with a bigger frame instead of a lnoger stem. A 70mm will probably be good for an Anthem. As for whether it will help with manuals... yes slightly, but technique has a bigger influence. It should certainly make the bike feel nicer across singletrack.
    Stem length is as personal as shoe size or is there general concensus for shoe size too?
  • bluechair84
    vanamees wrote:
    Stem length is as personal as shoe size or is there general concensus for shoe size too?

Why yes actually, size 8s look best on the shelf which is why most stores have... wait for it... size 8s on the shelf.
    I'd say stem length has attributes that suit particular types of riding (XC vs DH) and less so personal taste. For instance - there isn't one DHer who runs a 110mm stem (according to you, surely one of them must love his 10" rig with a nice long stem huh?). If you're riding an Anthem which is an allrounder bike - not an XC racer, you'd be better off with a medium stem such as a 70mm. Reviewers frequently swap out risers and stems on test bikes... I've never seen a reviewer fit a longer stem. And I have adjusted a lot of friends cockpits to suit their riding type - not their taste - and they have been much happier for it.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I actually do take a size 8. Chicks dig size 8s.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • aaronmroach
    aaronmroach Posts: 341
    I spunked some cash on a bike fit session!!

The guy did all the computer measurments on my road bike and MTB and the riding profile meant my Road bike had to come down from a 110mm stem to a 100 to stop the pain in my Iliac Crest muscle at the 60 mile point, thats with a 58 frame that was just right for my 6ft 3 frame with average length but overly strong legs apparantly. On the Remedy he went from a 70 to a 90 and a lower rise bar to stretch out my torso to aid breathing and went down on the seatpost by 5mm to open up my quads a little more, rather than straining the hip flexers to put the power down.

So stem length is a personal choice but there is some science behind it. I would guess all the pros get a custom fit to all new frames!!!!!!!! Bit better than the one I had tho!!!
  • bluechair84
    cooldad wrote:
    I actually do take a size 8. Chicks dig size 8s.

You know what they say about size 8 feet? Really good looking manhood.
  • bluechair84
    On the Remedy he went from a 70 to a 90 and a lower rise bar to stretch out my torso to aid breathing and went down on the seatpost by 5mm to open up my quads a little more, rather than straining the hip flexers to put the power down.

For the money you paid he'd best suggest something :lol:
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    If you're riding an Anthem which is an allrounder bike - not an XC racer
    I've just emailed Giant to put them right... :wink:
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • bluechair84