Hit 27.2mph on the flat on my FG this morning.

Butterd2
Butterd2 Posts: 937
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
On the last sprint section of Jamaica Rd between the Abbey St lights and Tooley St I had a guy pull up next to me on a Bianchi.
The lights go green and we're off, him clicking through the gears, me spinning faster and faster, in the end I maxed out at 27.2mph which I make a cadence of 129rpm and he pulled away. For an old diesel engine I am amazed that I can even spin my legs that fast let alone generate any power at that cadence.
Met the guy again at the lights onto Tower Bridge and both agreed it was a good thing they were red so we could have a rest.

This does convince me of the benefits of FG in forcing me to increase my cadence, on a long run on the road bike my average cadence is usually mid 70's so I know I need to increase it.

What sort of cadence can others generate useful power up to?
Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols

Comments

• greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    There's high cadence.

And then there's this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5a3C2MC87g
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • As I track rider I have managed to teach myself to spin up to 200rpm on my roady and possibly higher on my track bike. Sort of like the guy in the video above
  • Matt the Tester
    Matt the Tester Posts: 1,261
    i dont know my cadence sadly but i can pedal VERY fast, a few of my club members have said they've never seen anyone pedals as quickly as me lol.

good going ;)
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    I have higher gearing so at a 130rpm i'm doing 30mph, which is rare to happen, though does now and then when I'm feeling frisky, i've clocked 140 rpm or 33mph which is into the 'she'll not take much more of this captain!" but 130rpm is okay though getting to 30mph isn't!
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Hmm, just did my maths.

Knowing that my peak flat speed is 26mph and my GI is 79.75 that makes my peak cadence 110 before I start bouncing out of the saddle.

Must learn how to spin faster..........
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    I spin out around the same.
    42-15 and I can get to around 27-28 before I start bouncing around. Tends to be on Jamaica Rd that I get that too :D

I normally 'coast' at 20mph / 90rpm
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I had an 'up the back end of a juggernaut' blast a couple of weeks ago and span out at 127, = 44mph. With a bit of training I might get into the 130s but I remember sitting up at that speed as there was nothing more to give. Chapeau to anyone who can get significantly higher than that and have usable output from it.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    a spinning class can also help; resistance off and just spin like hell for a while

I think I've got to 31-32 on mine on the flat but my gearing might be higher than yours... I'll see how I got tomorrow :D
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Just focus on completely locking out your core to stabilize yourself and pedal in circles as smoothly as possible are the most important things. If you can ride rollers these are ideal for learning how to spin smoothly or you can put a small gear on and go ride down a steep hill!
  • dhope
    CiB wrote:
    I had an 'up the back end of a juggernaut' blast a couple of weeks ago and span out at 127, = 44mph. With a bit of training I might get into the 130s but I remember sitting up at that speed as there was nothing more to give. Chapeau to anyone who can get significantly higher than that and have usable output from it.

Please tell me this wasn't fixed. How would you pull away from the lights?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Jeez no I don't do FG. I rolled up behind the artic as it eased away from a roundabout and managed to tuck in for as long as. FG? Here? Pffft.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    dhope wrote:
    CiB wrote:

look at some of the old TT's some fairly WTF gearing
  • dhope
    dhope wrote:
    CiB wrote:

look at some of the old TT's some fairly WTF gearing

Did L2B yesterday and one of the guys took along the bike that he takes to the track. 85 inch (fixed) gear up Ditchling without a pause. I changed down a gear. Need to MTFU it seems.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    How does the math work on this?

Last Friday I scalped a roadie on Millbank at 28.3 mph. My big ring is buggered so was on the middle ring. This makes gearing 39/11 when I hit this. So what was cadence? Please show working out?
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Butterd2
    Sketchley wrote:

Last Friday I scalped a roadie on Millbank at 28.3 mph. My big ring is buggered so was on the middle ring. This makes gearing 39/11 when I hit this. So what was cadence? Please show working out?

http://www.machars.net/bikecalc.htm
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    S'all about the gearing. I hit at least 26 most days and have been as high as 34, but then I run a 50x16 so it's never super super spinny.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Butterd2 wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:

http://www.machars.net/bikecalc.htm

Thanks - So it was 101.3 rpm. Felt pretty much on the max, so must try harder.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Butterd2
    Should have added I'm on 48/18 giving me 71".

I think riding down the hill in Greenwich park fixed has forced me to learn to pedal smoothly, when I first started FG I would do no more than 21/22mph and be braking all the way down. I now ride down leg braking a little at c.26mph without bouncing around. (Akin to CP's spinning with no load I guess).

Roger M - if it wasn't for the ride back up it in the evenings I would gear up a little more :oops:
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    I've hit 180rpm several times.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Hi,
    My max is about 165, maybe 170... 34mph on a descent in a ~69" gear. I don't generate much power at that pace, though.
    I can't sustain much more than about 110-115, so even if I have a strong tailwind or I'm drafting a stronger friend then I can't hold over 22mph for more than 5-10 miles.
    "Normal" pace (ie the 5-mile sprint to the station, desperately trying to catch the train!) averages17-18mph @ 85-90rpm... but that's over mixed terrain, so it's under & over by a good bit (ie 70 uphill, 120 down).

Cheers,
    W.
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    I hit 145rpm in an uphill sprint recently (30 mph), took my SS out on the club run.
    I also set a new PB on my 15 mile commute (mixed rural to city centre) of 19.9 mph moving speed. that equates to an average of 96 rpm, sweet. (and no I don't RLJ)
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"