Will I break it?

Corporate Camper
Corporate Camper Posts: 293
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
Hi all,

When I bought my bike I figured that, as I rode on roads, I should get a road bike... However, my only experience of road bikes at the time wasn't positive and being a big (ok, fat) bloke at about 20st I thought it might just fold up under me...

In the end I opted for a Boardman Hybrid Pro, which I suppose is more the road end of the hybrid range. It's been a good choice, I love it.

Now I'm a little lighter (just over 18st I think), and I'm living in the country and not cycle commuting (shame), I want to ride off the road. I'm not talking about proper Mountain Biking, I want to ride routes like Sustrans route 51 which has at least a few sections of track, rather than road.

Is my bike up to this? Do you think it's worth swapping the smooth 700X28c Maxxis Detonator tyres for something like Continental Top Contact 700x28c?

Steve
'12 CAAD 8 Tiagra

Comments

• mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    im 17.5 stone at the moment an i ride on 28's marathon pluses which seem to be holding my weight fine

my commute is mostly on the sustrans routes
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    This: http://youtu.be/o17Hv0AhH-4?hd=1 is the Tissington Trail being ridden on a Tricross with 28c Conti Top Contacts (running at 110 psi)

I'm 15 stone ish and it's perfectly comfortable - and this stretch is part of Sustrans route 68
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    having beefier sidewalls would allow for lower pressures so less jarring ride, in terms of grip the snipes in the thread are unlikely to do much realistically.

personally i'd give it a go and see how it went, play with the pressure so it's that sweet point between to jarring and pinch flatting.