Will the Ceramic Pistons in new XT disc brake less sticky?

Ekapon
Ekapon Posts: 4
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

Shimano says the new XT M785 disc brake calipers come with "Oversized Ceramic Pistons".
What were they made of in the previous model? Will this new 'Ceramic' prevent the sticky piston problem?

Cheers from Koh Tao, Thailand!

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    If the new XTRs are anything to go by then yes, and you'll get a really nice lever feel too.
  • 101_North
    101_North Posts: 607
    Had these on my bike for a few weeks now and I'm very impressed. The pistons are huge and are probably the smoothest moving pistons I've seen - let's hope they're still as smooth in a years time! Pad clearance is huge compared to what I ran before. The lever feel is superb and the power and modulation fantastic. Not convinced about the free point adjustment though - not noticed it doing much to be honest.

• Ekapon
    What material the pistons in earlier model of XT or XTR made of? A kind of metal like SLX?
  • Ekapon
    I found the answer here...

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/photos/first-ride-2011-shimano-xtr-m980/135111
    While older Shimano XTR disc brakes used relatively small cupped aluminum pistons and phenolic inserts to help keep the hot pads isolated from the oil, the new brakes use bigger ceramic pistons that can apply force more evenly to the pad.