Bike Express

random man
random man Posts: 1,518
edited June 2011 in Tour & expedition
Driving down the M1 yesterday I passed a Bike Express coach. I didn't know this company existed until then http://www.bike-express.co.uk/

Has anyone on here used them, and if so how do they compare with flying? I can see the advantage of not having to dismantle your bike and pack it, plus the chance of damage in transit being much less, but what about cost and convenience?

Comments

• andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    I've used the Med A route 4 times.
    I like the bike express. If you live within riding distance of the UK pickup points, it's just ride in, turn the bars, put the panniers in the bus and find your seat. Zero hassle, with none of the early arrival, check-in queues, security check queues, more security check queues, worry about whether they will like the way you've packed your bike or there's something in your luggage that fails a scan etc etc that you get with a flight.
    You are also confident that your bike will arrive in good condition. All I've heard of is chafed paint or a missing pump that fell off into the trailer and wasn't noticed until the bus had gone. Annoying, but nothing that's going to disrupt a holiday.

The downsides are that it's a long time to sit on a bus, and that it's more expensive than budget airlines.
    Also, if you want to go somewhere not too far (Loire, Jura) the dropoff and pickup times are in the middle of the night so you'd have to get a Formule 1 hotel room or similar. Further south (Valence/Orange, Bordeaux/Agen) you get off for an early start, about when the boulangeries open, and get picked up after your evening restaurant meal.
  • I like the Bike Express aswell.
    The poster above covers what I'd say although I find the journey passes quite quickly. There are stops every couple of hours and the ferry across the Channel breaks it up and you are on a coach with a load of bike nuts. Great!!
  • random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    Thanks for the comments fellas. Although I'm not keen on bus travel it did look comfortable and does seem to have advantages over flying.