Some folk shouldn't be allowed on bikes

puncturemagnet
puncturemagnet Posts: 52
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
Fella in my work has just got into cycling and to be honest I'm not too sure if it's a good idea for his own personal safety.

He came into the office one day last week sporting a fairly large graze on his elbow. I knew he had been going out for ride so I was keen to know if the graze was a result of an off.

Apparently the chap in question had been out on his pushbike that morning and was merrily belting along the road when he felt the need to blow his nose. Not wanting to stop he jammed shut one nostril with his index finger and gave it full blast out the other. Unfortunately the ejected muccus somehow attached itself to his trouser. So rather than stop and remove the offending muccus safely he decided that doing it on the move would be a better bet...

You can guess the rest but his own words were something like: "Yeah, one minute I was on the road, the next I was on my arse on the pavement, I only took my eye off the tarmac for a second"

As my wee ma would say, that boy's a worry!

Comments

• cyclingpast
    cyclingpast Posts: 111
    'snot a good idea to do that

I'll get my coat
    Giant Defy 3
    FCN 5

All wrenching and no riding makes me frickin' angry...
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Teh. We've all been there. if only in some dark distant past when still wearing a school blazer. Give the man a break.
  • navt
    navt Posts: 374
    Sneezy mistake to make.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    you shouldn't expectorate too much more from a newbie, lesson learned
  • Now he nose it wasn't a good idea.
  • dm38
    dm38 Posts: 47
    Long before I was into cycling and got my first bike as only a means of saving money while at university (however it was the beginning of an obsession) I made a stupid mistake which I have never really admitted to anyone. I decided to go out on my very first test ride with a map in my hand – and yes you guessed it, I tried to map read while cycling and ended up over my handlebars. It was an important lesson

1. I was clearly not as nimble as I was as a child where I could cycle without holding the handlebars.
    2. I never attempted to do anything other than focus 100% on cycling again – so no maps, phones and other stupid things some cyclists do.

However blowing your nose in that manner is a bit gross.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Yeah - I should not be allowed on a bike......Makes me fart allot.....
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    I shouldn't be allowed on a bike - fallen off three times in about as many months..
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • Chris McG
    Chris McG Posts: 189
    CiB wrote:
    Teh. We've all been there. if only in some dark distant past when still wearing a school blazer.

Some of us still wear a school blazer and don't do that :lol:
    "Orbea, Bianchi, Ridley, Van Nicholas, Planet X, Niner. My Euro-bike menagerie was going well up to the last 2..."
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Chris McG wrote:
    CiB wrote:
    Teh. We've all been there. if only in some dark distant past when still wearing a school blazer.

Who are you then? Angus out of ACDC? :wink:

Saw them live in about 1978 and he looked too old then to be wearing a school uniform.
  • CiB wrote:
    Chris McG wrote:
    CiB wrote:

Who are you then? Angus out of ACDC? :wink:

Saw them live in about 1978 and he looked too old then to be wearing a school uniform.

That Krankie woman dressing up as a scoolboy never seemed quite right :?
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    SimonAH wrote:
    The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind.
    :lol::lol:
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • king_jeffers
    king_jeffers Posts: 694
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Yeah - I should not be allowed on a bike......Makes me fart allot.....

:lol:

White men can't kurb jump - well this white man can't.

I had a munch on the pavement when I first tried, 2nd attempt I smashed my tinker into the handle bars, 3rd time just about made it! Try to avoid now :oops:

I have to add they where all separate occasions!
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Still remember the time that after mastering no handies, I tried no handies and no legs; a similar result ensued to the time I did my first jumps on a bmx track on my crap mtb, eating gravel. :lol: