Cassette and Chain

Im Bald Ok
Im Bald Ok Posts: 146
edited June 2011 in Road buying advice
I'm going to be changing from my current Ultegra chain and cassette and was wondering if it's really worth the money to replace with Ultegra again.

Can i change to a cheaper 105 cassette and a KMC chain without really impeeding on performance and crisp shifting?

If so can you recommend a KMC chain? All the numbers and letters are a bit baffling to me.

Comments

• brin
    brin Posts: 1,122
    You don't say why you need to change it, but the old adage 'if it's not broke...?' comes to mind, saying that, the 105 does get some good reviews, but personally would feel as tho i was down grading.
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    Yes. You pay money to save a few grams - nowt to do with shifting performance.
  • nmcgann
    nmcgann Posts: 1,780
    Im Bald Ok wrote:
    I'm going to be changing from my current Ultegra chain and cassette and was wondering if it's really worth the money to replace with Ultegra again.

Can i change to a cheaper 105 cassette and a KMC chain without really impeeding on performance and crisp shifting?

If so can you recommend a KMC chain? All the numbers and letters are a bit baffling to me.

I use 105 chains (with a kmc link) with my ultegra. The shifting is just as good as the ultegra chains and the cost saving is worthwhile.

I think the cassettes do make a difference though - I've tried 105 cassettes and they never seemed to change gear as smoothly, so I stick to ultegra.
    --
    "Because the cycling is pain. The cycling is soul crushing pain."
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I started with 105 cassettes and when I changed to Ultegra believe that shifting became a bit slicker. The thing is though, by then I was comparing a worn 105 cassette with a brand new Ultegra one so it wasn't really an objective test. I still buy Ultegra cassettes now though since it is a once a year purchase (and the extra cost is not that bad) but would happily trade down if I had to.

When it comes to chains, I'm a big fan of KMC (X9L or X10L) as they seem to be dependable, well made, good at shifting and reasonably priced. I haven't tried to SL ones which are probably more akin to Ultegra.
  • Im Bald Ok
    Im Bald Ok Posts: 146
    Brin i'm not just downgrading. My chain is reasonably worn and i'm not happy with the jumps in between my 11-28 cassette. I don't use the far ends of the cassette so changing to a 12-25 or 12-23.

Seems to me from what you guys are saying that only weight is saved for the money. May stick with an Ultegra cassette but will more than likely get a cheaper KMC chain if shifting is unaffected.

Thanks chaps.
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    Purely personal experience but I have had 105 and DA chains and would not buy shimano again. KMC SL range have been excellent with Ultegra cassettes.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • Im coming up soon to replace my 9 speed HG50 cassette and double Shimano chainset as the teeth have worn alot after 5000 miles in the last 10 months, not sure which one it is though possibly whichever is below the sora range??

I was thinking of upgrading to the 105 range as it seems to be the middle of the range that you cant really go wrong with? I have Tiagra shifters, front and rear derauliers, would this all work together?

Thinking of upgrading in August/September will it matter if i change to 10 speed at the rear and if i do stick with 9 speed will it matter a great deal if the new cassette and chainrings have a slightly different number of teeth?

Thanks,