1.5~2.0 puncture resistant tyre advice

u05harrisb
u05harrisb Posts: 531
edited June 2011 in Commuting general
hey everybody!

had a quick search on the button and could find little as to what i was after so here goes:

im after a 1.5~2.0 punture resistant tyre, idealy as close to 1.5 as possible and the lighter the better but i rate resistance to puntures higher than lightness, and "resonably priced" would be great too :lol:

many thanks everybody!
Ben

Comments

• Schwalbe Marathon Plus are a good buy on Evans website at the mo.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/sch ... e-ec004844
  • u05harrisb
    u05harrisb Posts: 531
    brilliant, thanks! :D
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Conti Gatorskin are much lighter and almost as good at puncture protection, I use WTB slickasuarus that have no claimes puncture protection, they weigh about 540g and I'v only have one puncture in 1200miles and that was a sliver of glass about 1/2 long!

Marathon plus though are the ultimate puncture protection but they are heavy and can be a beatch to fit!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Like the Beginner says the Schwalbe MP are heavy, I've got a 26 x 1.75 on the back and it is noticably lardy and it's chunkier than I really wanted. Wish I had waited and got a couple of the 1.35 from Evans but I was in a rush and needed a replacement. I've done about 150 miles on it so far and had no problems with punctures... YET!
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    I've ridden a couple of thousand miles on 1.5 Schwalbe City Jets and not got a puncture. They still look like thry've got a couple of thousand miles left in them...

I've seen them around for a tenner each. Bargain.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • Can I ask a newbie question?

I started cycling to work last week and have seen various mentions of these Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyr.es... many people seem to rate them

My current tyres are 26x1.6 on a Carrera Subway Hybrid bike.

There are various choices of Marathon Plus, e.g. 26x1.25, 26x1.5, 26x1.75

I was going to purchase the 26x1.5 as the numbers are closest to 26x1.6 but don't know what difference would be made if I got the larger or the smaller sizes.

Can you advise me as to what difference a larger or smaller tyre makes.
  • Welcome pizzaboy.

http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3802

This link should take you to a handy tyre size table and info.

The 26 is the diameter (in inches) of your wheel. The 1.6 is the width of tyre i think. (again in inches but written as a metric figure if that makes sense).

I suppose the general rule of thumb is the smaller the width, the less rolling resistance with the road, the faster you go. The larger the width the more rubber contact you have for grip but this will create more resistance, be slightly slower, but be a comfier ride

There will be limits as to how large you can go due to clearances of forks and brakes and mudguards. If your unsure at all. see advice form a local bike shop.

You prob aint going to notice a differance of .1 between your old and new tyres
    If i aint riding it, then im thinking about riding it.
  • thanks for the reply. I saw some on special offer for £21.50 each so have ordered two.
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    The round the world guys tend to use either marathon plus or conti travel contacts which have a couple of layars of kevlar are 1.75 wide and half the weight of the marathons, ive had the conti s on my bike a year and gone from a puncture a week to zilch and i ride over all kinds of terrain.
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011