Fancy a flutter...

MaxwellBygraves
MaxwellBygraves Posts: 1,353
edited June 2011 in Pro race
Fancy putting some money on Le Tour this year.

Had a quick look at the Ladbrokes website, Basso at 8/1 might be worth a punt...

Where would your money be going?
"That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer

Comments

• RowCycle
    RowCycle Posts: 367
    AC
  • brucey72
    brucey72 Posts: 1,086
    Contador
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    Basso is 18/1 with Paddy Power,

8/13 Contador
    9/4 Schleck
    20 Gesink
    22 Evans
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Evans as an outsider is worth a couple of quid, AC is such a favourite its hardly worth betting on him, unless you have £1000's to gamble.
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Personally, I think the best value is in the 'without Contador' market (ie your bet still wins if you rider comes second to AC)

Best odds:

A Schleck 3/4
    Basso 10/1
    F Schleck 12/1
    Evans 18/1
    Sanchez 24/1
    Gesink 33/1

See here: http://www.oddschecker.com/other-sports ... o-contador
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • babyjebus
    babyjebus Posts: 93
    Cuddles at 18/1 to come second? I'm having some of that.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    In the "winner without Contador" betting - you can also bet 'each way'. Meaning you get 1/4 odds if your choice comes in the top 4. So Cuddles would still pay 4.5 to 1 if he came 3rd or 4th. And would pay significantly more if he came second (as an example).
  • RichN95.
    Pokerface wrote:
    In the "winner without Contador" betting - you can also bet 'each way'. Meaning you get 1/4 odds if your choice comes in the top 4. So Cuddles would still pay 4.5 to 1 if he came 3rd or 4th. And would pay significantly more if he came second (as an example).

There's some great each way value to be had in that market (as a contrast I've put their top 3 odds in brackets):

Kloden 80/1 (6/1)
    Leipheimer 125/1 (4/1)
    Velits 150/1 (18/1)
    Uran 350/1 (18/1)
    Gadret 350/1 (12/1)
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    Not sure Contador has great odds there, didnt win that convincingly last year, even if he takes part doing the Giro must have some effect.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Contador wasn't quite on form last summer, look how he struggled to dump Brajkovic in the Dauphine and he complained of "allergies" during the Tour de France. I'd still see him as the big favourite for July, especially as he's got the wily Riis now.

As for Basso, he's good but remember the Giro was against second-stringers (Evans was ill) like Arroyo, Porte, Garzelli rather than Gesink, Schlecks and Contador. It's hard to see him going up a level or two, unless he hires Dr Fuentes again.
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    Basso's not looking good, don't like gesink think he's a little overrated. how you great the without bertie bets as £10 each way bet on cuddles is to good to miss also whats the odds on wiggo to place?
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • RowCycle
    RowCycle Posts: 367
    How many stages will Cav win?

I'll say 3
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,584
    What happens to bets if Contador wins and is then stripped of his title by CAS? Do the bookies pay out twice. At end of July for Contador wins and then a year :roll: later for whoever came second?
  • Pokerface
    Alan A wrote:
    What happens to bets if Contador wins and is then stripped of his title by CAS? Do the bookies pay out twice. At end of July for Contador wins and then a year :roll: later for whoever came second?

They pay out for the race winner at the time. No payouts if/when he gets banned.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    Alan A wrote:

Check with the individual bookie. Almost to a company they'll pay on the podium in Paris. You can't settle bets months later on the decision of an arbitration panel.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    Every bookie will have the rules and regs available to read, it's your responsibility to read them before handing over your stake. Betfair has put the market up but it is far from fluid right now and the overround is still very high. Contador is 4/5, A Schleck 11/5, Basso 20/1. Of course the whole idea of Betfair is you can request your own odds and see who bites...
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    RichN95 wrote:
    Personally, I think the best value is in the 'without Contador' market (ie your bet still wins if you rider comes second to AC)

Best odds:

A Schleck 3/4
    Basso 10/1
    F Schleck 12/1
    Evans 18/1
    Sanchez 24/1
    Gesink 33/1

Is that for sure, the way i read it was that if Conty starts the Tour, the bet is void and money returned?
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • RichN95.
    durhamwasp wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Best odds:

A Schleck 3/4
    Basso 10/1
    F Schleck 12/1
    Evans 18/1
    Sanchez 24/1
    Gesink 33/1

Is that for sure, the way i read it was that if Conty starts the Tour, the bet is void and money returned?

No, this is a different market altogether. Bookies often do it when there is an overwhelming favourite. (AC's uncertain participation will have prompted it too)

What it means is basically: "Who will be be the highest placed rider not including Contador" - ie 1st, or 2nd behind Contador"
  • Pokerface
    RichN95 wrote:
    durhamwasp wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Best odds:

A Schleck 3/4
    Basso 10/1
    F Schleck 12/1
    Evans 18/1
    Sanchez 24/1
    Gesink 33/1

No, this is a different market altogether. Bookies often do it when there is an overwhelming favourite. (AC's uncertain participation will have prompted it too)

What it means is basically: "Who will be be the highest placed rider not including Contador" - ie 1st, or 2nd behind Contador"

For the record - the bet also pays if your choice happens to BEAT Contador (or if he doesn't ride, etc).