new moutin bike

eigerclimber
eigerclimber Posts: 4
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
i have just bought a moutin bike (brand new) but i had to put it toghether. i have just been out on it and the handlebar rocks forward and backwards as i go over the bumps as if its loose on the frame i am sure i have set it up wrong can you give me a guide on how to tighten it up without it being to tight to turn it. thanks.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds like the headset need preloading correctly.

slacken stem bolts and tighten the top cap bolt. then tighten the stem bolts again. this is presuming that the top cap is not bottoming out and it is an Aheadset type Headset.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • thankyou for the clear advice i had done it the wrong way round. thankyou again.
  • i did what you said and it is perfect now so i will go out and make a new set of tracks. thankyou.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,171
    ^^^ the trick is to do up the headset bolt until the slack has gone as overtightening it will damage the bearing/races (wear them out quicker).

To check, when the front wheel is off the ground, the forks should swing freely and smoothly.