Seized Euro bottom bracket

Curly93
Curly93 Posts: 20
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi I recently tried to remove my completly ruined BMX type euro bottom bracket and it's absolutley seized solid on both sides. I've tried soaking it in lubricant but that didn't make a difference and when I apply lots of force it just starts to round off. Does anyone have any ideas or tips on how to get it out? I heard about some tricks involving a vice and using the frame as leaverage, or making the bottom bracket shell expand using heat, can anyone tell me about these? Also if I left any information out it's my first post so bear with me. I've got a picture of the bottom bracket http://www.flickr.com/photos/curlyjames ... hotostream

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    clean it up first. then soak in Plus Gas. clean up the flat so good purchase can be got on the flats and make sure you are turning it the correct way.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • aaronmroach
    aaronmroach Posts: 341
    +1 for the correct rotation.

Get a fine file and clean up the flats as nicklouse said, then dunk the frame in a whole container of eezit (pen oil) or similar for at least a day!! Then try and wind it out with a spanner or suitable soctel with large bar.

You can grip the socket in a vice and place the BB cup into the socket and use turn the frame in the correct rotation!!!

If this fails strip all the paint from the BB shell and apply heat from a heat gun or a blow torch to the shell only evenly then again attempt to wind out the BB cups carefully it will be kin hot.

If all this fails take it to a local engineering works where for a smal fee they will get them out for you!!!!!
  • Curly93
    Curly93 Posts: 20
    Thanks for the advice. Am I right in thinking the right cup is reverse threaded?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown