BB compatability..

wowtaylor
wowtaylor Posts: 75
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello, I bought a Specialized Stumpjumper M2 frame (2001 model i think). It came with a UN54 BB fitted and it seemed in good condition so for the last six months i have gradually built it up with mostly new parts and i am so happy with the results i have decided to use it not only as a work bike but for some fun at the weekend. Anyway, i bought a new shimano acera chainset for £25 that now seems like false economy as it's working it's way loose constantly. The chainset is the only part that lets my bike down now and i wanna modernise the look a little more. I have been looking at Raceface Evolve chainset and BB on this link..
http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... ank-10562/ Can Anyone tell Me if this will fit and what tools i will need? i have a square taper crank extractor which says it is cotterless whatever that means and i am armed with a mechanical mind when it comes to taking things apart and re-building them. Like i keep saying to my Missus "These will make me cycle faster and more efficient and possibly keep me safer on the road" :)

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    TBH dont bother with the RF stuff.

have a look at Deore HT2 Crankset and BB. you will need the BB shell faced with either set up.

have a read of Parktools for what tools are needed.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • wowtaylor
    Does faced mean i will need the thread modified?
  • nicklouse
    have a read of the topic in the FAQs.

nothing to do with the thread.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • wowtaylor
    cheers mate, it makes sense now and it seems like a job for a bike shop if they are cheaper than actually buying the gear to do it.
  • nicklouse
    facing tools are about 600 quid.
  • wowtaylor
    Crikey :?
  • aaronmroach
    aaronmroach Posts: 341
    Or take it to a LBS where they wil face it for about £15, it is the process of ensuring the contact faces of the BB shell are square and perpendicular to each other this ensures correct alignment of axels and shells!!
  • wowtaylor
    What about some other type of bottom bracket such as hollowtech?
  • nicklouse
    all external need facing. Hollowtec is a means of making hollow cranks.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My LBS only charged me £5 for facing (each side).

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.