Bike Selection for a Newbie

greg8263
greg8263 Posts: 3
edited June 2011 in MTB beginners
Hi guys,

Wondering if you can help me, I'm coming to mountain biking from road cycling after trying a few trails the other week, I'm looking at getting myself a new bike but not sure what bike to get. I think I've narrowed it down to two;

A Focus Black Forrest 3.0 http://www.wiggle.co.uk/focus-black-forest-30-xtr-2011/ and a VooDoo Wanga http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... 65499#dtab

I understand that they are two different types of bikes, but I'm not sure which would be the best for me, I will be using this as a run around at work going over flat grassed areas but will be trying some trails on weekends, I'll still have my road bike for getting out on for fitness so wouldn't be covering load of miles on roads. What would you guys choose?

Thanks,

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Both are incredible value for money, but as you say, are a little different.

The Wanga is made for more punishing terrain, and that is reflected in the slacker geometry, longer travel forks and heavier overall weight. The Black Forest is a classic cross country steed - steep (ish), fast and light.
  • greg8263
    greg8263 Posts: 3
    Thanks, I think I'm leaning towards the VooDoo as I can get an extra 15% off the price with my BC membership so £850 is a bargin.
  • Shocker_33
    Shocker_33 Posts: 38
    It always amazes me that people look at bikes from Halfrauds! The gear sold at Halfrauds is always over priced and the school kids that builds them, can never be arsed to do the job properly. So you always have to go over the bike again to re-adjust things and tighten things up. You wouldn't get this kind of service from a proper bike shop!

I think you'll be perfectly fine with the Focus for now. You never know, you might decide that you enjoy the freeride/downhill. I think the bike from Halfrauds has to much travel for what you want and is trying to be a bike that it's not (A 15mm front axle, really? Does it look like a freeride/downhill bike. I don't think so!).....along with what i previously said.
  • Shocker_33
    I've just looked at the bikes again. Out of these two, i definitely think the Focus is the better bike by a mile!!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Shocker_33 wrote:
    It always amazes me that people look at bikes from Halfrauds! The gear sold at Halfrauds is always over priced and the school kids that builds them, can never be arsed to do the job properly. So you always have to go over the bike again to re-adjust things and tighten things up. You wouldn't get this kind of service from a proper bike shop!

I think you'll be perfectly fine with the Focus for now. You never know, you might decide that you enjoy the freeride/downhill. I think the bike from Halfrauds has to much travel for what you want and is trying to be a bike that it's not (A 15mm front axle, really? Does it look like a freeride/downhill bike. I don't think so!).....along with what i previously said.
    Shocker_33 wrote:
    I've just looked at the bikes again. Out of these two, i definitely think the Focus is the better bike by a mile!!

Well that settles it then.

ps who, except you, mentioned freeride or downhill.?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Shocker_33 wrote:

Halfords bikes offer great value, and some of the shops do have very good staff. Who is to say Wiggle will be any better?! Most of the Carreras, Boardmans and some Voodoos are award winning bikes.

You get 15mm axles on SIDs, axle size is not always an indicator of use!
  • Shocker_33
    cooldad wrote:
    Shocker_33 wrote:

Shocker_33 wrote:

Lol, it's just an opinion!! Anyway, he asked for an opinion and i gave him one.

Well if you read greg8263's original post he is only just getting in to mountain biking. So how will he know exactly what type of riding he likes until he gets in mountain biking properly? So yet again, i'm just giving an opinion on what he posted.

Sorry greg8263 for this to be in your topic....
    If people like yourself continue to react like you are, i don't think i'm going to bother with this forum. As i haven't come on here to argue or justify anything that i write. As i'm not saying anything nasty nor am i saying anything aggressively and i don't have a god complex where i think i'm always right. I believe all i'm doing is providing opinions on the topics that i'm contributing too. If this is not ok, bugger off to China where they love to suppress peoples opinions and freedom of speech.
    I've got better things to do with my time than write posts like this one!! And i'm quickly loosing patience to keep coming back to this forum!!
  • Shocker_33
    supersonic wrote:
    Shocker_33 wrote:

Halfords bikes offer great value, and some of the shops do have very good staff. Who is to say Wiggle will be any better?! Most of the Carreras, Boardmans and some Voodoos are award winning bikes.

You get 15mm axles on SIDs, axle size is not always an indicator of use!

Have you ever looked at the prices in Halfrauds? And then have you compared the exact same thing to other shops? I have on a variety of items, not just bikes and i've found that Halfrauds tend to over charge.
    I'm not the only person that says Halfrauds, i actually picked the name up from someone else not so long ago.

I admit that i bought a Carrera about a month ago but i only bought it because it was half price. I only wanted a cheap commuting bike, where it didn't matter if someone kicked it in or it rusted in the rain. Personally, my own opinion is that the bike is not worth the full £450 RRP that they were asking for before the sale. I buckled the wheels just riding it home....what can i say, 10 miles completely on the road. No tricks, no riding up/down stairs or kerbs, nothing.

Notice how you said "some of the shops do have very good staff".....and what about the rest of the shops? My ex use to work in Halfrauds and she told me that the lads that she worked with didn't really care how the bikes went out. Have you ever bought a bike from Halfrauds? My opinion is that my parents once stupidly bought bikes from Halfrauds even after my warning to them. A few days after bringing the bikes home, both of them had a number of issues with them, if bought from a proper bike shop neither wouldn't of had them.

It's not just the 15mm axle, it's also the 140mm travel forks, the DH tyres, the double wall rims and the 185mm front disc instead of the standard 160mm for XC. The 15mm axle was just an example as i couldn't be bothered to write the rest out. I could easily be wrong but to me this is trying to be more than just an XC bike.

Before some of you get on my back yet again. My opinion is not the end all and be all. I am not trying to portray that i am 100% right nor am i trying to say that my opinion is how things are.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Shocker_33 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    Shocker_33 wrote:

Shocker_33 wrote:

Lol, it's just an opinion!! Anyway, he asked for an opinion and i gave him one.

Well if you read greg8263's original post he is only just getting in to mountain biking. So how will he know exactly what type of riding he likes until he gets in mountain biking properly? So yet again, i'm just giving an opinion on what he posted.

Sorry greg8263 for this to be in your topic....
    If people like yourself continue to react like you are, i don't think i'm going to bother with this forum. As i haven't come on here to argue or justify anything that i write. As i'm not saying anything nasty nor am i saying anything aggressively and i don't have a god complex where i think i'm always right. I believe all i'm doing is providing opinions on the topics that i'm contributing too. If this is not ok, bugger off to China where they love to suppress peoples opinions and freedom of speech.
    I've got better things to do with my time than write posts like this one!! And i'm quickly loosing patience to keep coming back to this forum!!
    Overreaction anyone. I made a point and asked a question, you are getting your knickers in a twist, comparing other peoples' opinions to living in China, and threatening to leave the forum.
    I'm sure you will be missed.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • tom_howard
    tom_howard Posts: 789
    i think someone needs to go for a lie down....

of the two bikes, value wise they are on about a level (and they are great value!), its more your decision on want you want from the bike. SS is spot on in what he is saying, the Focus will feel more stretched out and racy, it will fly on smooth trails, great for climbing too and will feel more similar to your road bike than the voodoo, which although its a chunk heavier than the focus, its not what youd call overweight and will still climb fairly well, but the real advantage of its slacker angles, longer travel and bigger tyres comes when the trails turn rough (the fun bit) it will feel much more surefooted (the focus could be pretty twitchy and skittish) on technical descents (the really fun stuff) and put your body position further back so you wont fell like youre about to nosedive when the trail heads downhill.

for me, id pick the voodoo, as it fits the term 'mountain bike' better, itll do everything youll ever need it to (assuming winning a DH world cup round isnt on your to do list....) without any real compromises. Not that the Focus is a poor choice, its just more (im trying to thing of a better word than 'focussed'!) aimed at the specific needs of the XC racer (or apparantly people who would rather hack a leg off than shop at halfords), rather than a do it all machine.

Hope that helps.
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
    Specialized Turbo Levo Expert 29er