Pyrenees 'B'ourg Doissans' type base?

ratsbeyfus
ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
edited June 2011 in Tour & expedition
I'm off to the pyrenees in the summer... where is the best place to base yourself for a week or so for the best/classic climbs? Is there anywhere similar to 'Bourg D'oisans' in the alps? I'll be camping with wife and two kids (mine).

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey

Comments

• Depends which bit of the Pyrenees you want to do and how much you want to abandon the wife and kids.
    Link in my profile may be worth a look.
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    Have a look at www.velopeloton.com and you'll see they're based in Saint Savin.
    Within 30kms from Tourmalet etc.
    Maybe find somewhere round there.
  • ratsbeyfus
    Saint Savin and the surrounding area looks great... anyone got any campsite recommendations?

@ratsbey
  • ratsbeyfus
    Depends which bit of the Pyrenees you want to do and how much you want to abandon the wife and kids.
    Link in my profile may be worth a look.

Your campsite looks lovely - how far are you from the Tourmalet in miles / hours driving?

@ratsbey
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,079
    Bagneres du Luchon is nice. I stayed in a friends house in the town so not sure of campsites/hotels but worth looking at. Superbagneres looks over the town, Portillon just down the road and the Peyresourde heads out the back of the town. Tourmalet and Aspin both close and a nice bike shop in the town. Also it's a Spa town which the wife might like. Nice base.
  • ratsbeyfus
    Bagneres du Luchon is nice. I stayed in a friends house in the town so not sure of campsites/hotels but worth looking at. Superbagneres looks over the town, Portillon just down the road and the Peyresourde heads out the back of the town. Tourmalet and Aspin both close and a nice bike shop in the town. Also it's a Spa town which the wife might like. Nice base.

Thank you - I'll look into that place as well.

Does anyone have any suggestions of a Pyrannean cycling base on the Spanish side of the border?

@ratsbey
  • You might want to try Massat. It's a little further east in the Pyrenees than St Savin and doesn't have quite as many of the 'Holywood' cols nearby but you can ride straight out of the town (village) and on to the Col de Port, Col de la Core, Port de Lers, Col d'Agnes and my personal favourite, the Courtal de B@stard. Guzet Neige, Plateau de Beille and Ax 3 Domaines all pretty close too.

St Savin is lovely though, so you can't go wrong there either. Has a very good Michelin starred restaurant in teh village too.