SRAM X9 10sp rear... spring fuc*ed already?

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm not even joking... i've had about enough of SRAM gears...AGAIN.

Followed http://www.pinkbike.com/news/tech-tuesd ... -2010.html to set up me derailleur as i'd been having problems getting the full 10sp range on the trails...
I though it was cable stretch but now i'm not so sure.

If I set the stops everything seems fine and the derailleur will move the full range if I push the cage myself.

Now then.. put the cable on and everything seems spot on until the big cog. It just won't move the final few mm, regardless of how much tweeking I do with the shifter adjusters.

I've checked and cleaned the cables and inners, so there is no muck in there so i'm at a loss.

When I move the derailleur manually, it creaks like a biatch too.

Any ideas before I lose my rag?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The usual issue with not getting the big cog is you've set the high stop a fraction too far in and it won't let the lever pull enough cable to get you onto it, back the high stop off and get it onto the cog and then ttweak the stop, it only has to be safe to stop the chain being pulled into the spokes.

Creaking, try a spot of oil on the pivots, I'd start with GT85 or WD40 to clean it and then an oil to keep it lubed.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • L stop is wound all the way OUT!!!
    I can't move the H stop any more or it moves into the frame.

I've kind of sussed it. I think its the shifter.

The thumb lever to change onto the bigger cog isn't returning to its normal position its stays pressed against the finger shifter.

Getting pics now.
  • How it stays when trying to select the largest cog

WP_000113.jpg

How it should be
    WP_000114.jpg

I think supersonic mentioned there being issues with the shifter springs or something..
  • I've sort of got it working now.

Not sure if I should go out tomorrow or not. I can't be arsed messing around with gears on the trail again.
  • grrrr. now it wont shift to the largest or smallest cog and the shifter return seems to have been completely lost.

Going to strip it all and start again tomorrow... wondering if i've bent my mech or hanger?!
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    The part you need to cure your problem is sold by Shimano and is called XT or SLX or Deore.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Trust me... end of the month and these are getting stripped, cleaned, sold and replaced if I can't fix em.
  • Danny-T
    Danny-T Posts: 129
    I had a similar issue with some X7 and X9 levers where they wouldn't return to the right place. I was convinced they were ruined but the solution was to open em up and give all the springs and mechanism a real good clean with some GT85.

I can tell from the pics yours have seen some muddy conditions as they look just like mine did. I think SRAM units are just not sealed enough or just get too easily affected by a bit of grit.
  • jimexbox
    jimexbox Posts: 200
    Trust me... end of the month and these are getting stripped, cleaned, sold and replaced if I can't fix em.

Have you took one apart before? They are a bloody nightmare to get back together. I used the guide below for my x9. Its one job I will never try again, I have fingers like sausages and are not designed for this. http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showth ... ost3012736
  • Danny-T
    Danny-T Posts: 129
    jimexbox wrote:
    Have you took one apart before? They are a bloody nightmare to get back together.

this.

However, if you're careful and don't completely strip it apart but rather gently open them and clean around what's there it's not too bad. It is very easy to send bits flying all over the place though :S