Knackered ISIS splines

chedabob
chedabob Posts: 1,133
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
My non-driveside crank came off yesterday on a ride and I tightened it as best I could with a multitool but it kept coming loose. It wobbles like mad so I'm positive at least the splines on the crank are hosed. Can I save it somehow (replace crankarm or threadlock the old one on), or am I just going to have to pay for the BB to be faced and fit the GXP one I've got lying around?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Replacement crank arms are readily available for about 15 quid.
  • chedabob
    supersonic wrote:
    Replacement crank arms are readily available for about 15 quid.

If the BB splines are gone though, won't it just come loose again and wreck the arm's splines?

Also I can get my frame faced and the new BB fitted for £30. I was planning to do it anyway, but I was waiting for the bearings to go.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Alloy crank arm and hardened steel splines, have a guess which will be knackered?

Apart from the fact you don't face a BB but the BB shell in the frame, you only need to do that if going to external bearings, not if using an axled setup like square/ISIS/powerspline/Octalink etc.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • chedabob
    I've got a Truvativ Blaze (Powerspline, not ISIS) crankset and BB at the moment, but I bought a GXP chainset off someone a while ago, so I'm trying to weigh up the options: save the current setup (£18 assuming the BB axle hasn't gone too, or free if I threadlock the crankbolt on) or just get the frame faced and have the GXP fitted (£30).
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    Yeah, let's face it, threadlocking it is only going to be a temporary fix at best. If you can source a matching non-drive side crank then do it.