Shimano BR-M445 Questions

616_RoCKeTMaN
616_RoCKeTMaN Posts: 3
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all, first post here & I'm looking for some advice regarding the Shimano BR-M445 Hydraulic Brake System.

I have a Rockhopper 2011 & on the brake rotor it says "Resin Pads Only" and I have heard other types of pads generate too much heat & warp the rotor, if I change the rotors would I be able to use normal sintered or organic pads from SuperStar/Alligator as resin pads don't seem to be sold by many places? These are the rotors I am thinking of changing to if compatible?

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=50&products_id=453

Also what pads do the M445 take as they don't seem to have that model number on SuperStar or Alligator?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• bonezy
    bonezy Posts: 129
    I wouldn't worry too much about using sintered pads on your current rotors, but if you want to upgrade then those floating rotors will be fine. Presumably you have 160mm rotors on at the moment so you shouldn't need different adapters.
    I think the pads you need are "S2" on the SS website; take the old ones out and compare them to this chart.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Just use the rotors. Shimano just say that as they may wear quicker if you use harder pads. No point in replacing them until they are and that will take years.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Thanks for the reply guys, now I can add the rotors to my already quite large shopping list. :)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Floating rotors are no better than standard rotors, and do seem to create problems for some people.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools