Pedal Bearings - what size ?

hairy_boy
hairy_boy Posts: 345
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

been giving my wifes Trek hardtail some long overdue T.L.C. this morning and thought the pedals felt a bit gritty when turning.

Stripped them off and down to bearings and have regreased the right hand side one all fine and dandy.

The left hand pedal had a split ball bearing in one side - leaving me with 12 bearings rather 13 in the inside race of the pedal.

My question is, these pedals are non-branded flats, I have found somewhere on ebay selling bearings but in various sizes - 1/8, 5/32, 3/16 etc so any idea what size the bearings are most likely to be ?

Taken a photo of the pedal with the bearings showing, not sure if this helps ?

pedalbearings2.th.jpg

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    5/32 or 1/8th usually - best thing is to measure with vernier calipers.
  • hairy_boy
    Thanks Super, haven't got any vernier calipers so might get some 1/8's.

If I get the 1/8 and put them side by side with the existing bearings would I see the difference if mine are 5/32 ? Would 1/8 be noticeably smaller than 5/32 to an untrained eye ? :lol:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You should be able to see. Just ;-)
  • hairy_boy
    Thanks Super, will buy some 1/8ths and keep my fingers crossed.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,171
    I had to replace bearings in my ritched pedals and they wer some tine size (don't recall what but have info. at home). Basiclaly ebay did not have them that small so I got them from:

simplybearings.co.uk

How many do you need? (I could spare you a couple since hte postage is quite high on their orders).
  • hairy_boy
    02GF74 wrote:
    I had to replace bearings in my ritched pedals and they wer some tine size (don't recall what but have info. at home). Basiclaly ebay did not have them that small so I got them from:

simplybearings.co.uk

How many do you need? (I could spare you a couple since hte postage is quite high on their orders).

Thanks for the kind offer I have PM'd you.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,171
    2 bearings on their way to you.

3/32 inch diameter.