Do you watch Professional Cycling?

Ben6899
Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
edited June 2011 in The bottom bracket
A quick poll to satisfy my own curiosity, really. We're all cyclists on here, but how many of us actually follow the sport of Professional Cycling?

Cheers

Ben
Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/

Comments

• Stewie Griffin
    Stewie Griffin Posts: 4,330
    Enough that I have based my rides around Eurosport's coverage of Women's tennis & even some pro cycling and have missed the best part of the day for my own ride. Saddo :P
  • centimani
    centimani Posts: 467
    Any chance i get. There's been a glut of it this year, seems so much on this year than previously which is great stuff.
    Does anyone else do this ??? sometimes in the sprints, i find my leg muscles twitching :oops: :D:D
  • andyjr
    andyjr Posts: 635
    When the Giro was on, I planned my work so that I would be finished in the lab & be able to sit at my desk from 2.30 onwards so I could watch/listen to the cycling. Done it with some of the classics also
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    yeah, I've even got some old dvds of stages from the eneco tour....how sad is that, in fact I even like watching vids other forumers have uploaded.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • CyclingBantam
    CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
    Same as others, I watch as much as I can which is quite a lot!
  • I watch when I can but I only have terrestrial TV and often I can't catch the live streams so I end up missing a lot. It's a problem of following a minority sport without having a lot of ready cash.
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Love to watch the big tours and the classics but I'm not an avid follower of the pro circuit and couldn't tell you who the big movers and shakers are really. Bit like pro football, I'm interested but not that bothered, I just enjoy the spectacle as and when.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • ellieb
    ellieb Posts: 436
    Not any more. I have finally decided that it will never be clean & if I want to watch a pharmacist at work I'll go to the local chemist.
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    As much as possible. Been to Amstel and a few smaller races this year so far, and I'll be in Paris for the Tour. On TV we get good coverage on NOS and Sporza so I watch it in Dutch or Belgian, even though I don't speak the languages. Ideally, I have Eurosport British commentary on the laptop at the same time... :)

Steve
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Hell yes.

Anyone else find that when they turn up on club runs barely anyone follows pro cycling, bar the occasional tour follower?
  • RowCycle
    RowCycle Posts: 367
    Only the TdF for me. i would watch more racing if I was more aware when it was on free TV channels.
  • bilirubin
    bilirubin Posts: 225
    Ditto all of the above, I watch as much as I can which is either live TV, Sky Plus, you tube clips, DVD's etc.

There have been some great races over the last 2 years so if you just watch the grand tours you are missing out.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Thanks for all the input!

I watch as much as possible. For me; not watching professional cycling and being a cyclist would be like being a footballer and not watching any professional football. In other words, a bit strange.

But that is just my opinion!

EDIT: the TdF is a great race, but if that's all you watch then you're really missing out.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Xommul
    Xommul Posts: 251
    loads on euro sport at the moment, thats free on sky!
    MTB Trek 4300 Disc 1999
    Road Rose Carbon Pro RS Custom
    Canyon Spectral AL 7.9 29er
  • Stewie Griffin
    Stewie Griffin Posts: 4,330
    Itv4 shows a few races a year, inc the Tour.
  • Rigged
    Rigged Posts: 214
    Yes, but not in it's entirety. I tend to flick it on and off for the duration of the race and then watch the closing few kilometres as they attack for the finish line.
  • RowCycle
    RowCycle Posts: 367
    Xommul wrote:
    loads on euro sport at the moment, thats free on sky!

Not on my sky. Says I have to subscribe for that one.

You got me excited there for a moment... :cry:
  • tom22
    tom22 Posts: 59
    Hell yes.

Anyone else find that when they turn up on club runs barely anyone follows pro cycling, bar the occasional tour follower?

+1
  • raymc
    raymc Posts: 38
    I too base my off-work days around the Eurosport coverage.

Just waiting for the highlights of the Dauphine Libere to start. :D

Good online coverage on Eurosport player, £34 for the year. Really enjoyed the Giro.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    tom22 wrote:
    Hell yes.

+1

Glad I'm not the only one. Thoroughly disapointing, when you get that sinking feeling 1hr into your club ride where you know your chat is going to be well below par... :(.