V Brake Bosses For Unknown RST Fork!

Darkstalker420
Darkstalker420 Posts: 212
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi in a last ditch effort to get another years "service" from my 1996 :shock: M Trax 1000 i secured (for a tenner :lol:) some 100mm travel RST forks. fitted them no probs replaced springs (to hard..... And im 14 stone! :shock: ) and now all the travel is available.

I have been testing a mechanical disk brake on the front (Tektro IO & Shimano V Lever). And well it's HIDEOUS! with my old LX V brake (the original LX!!) one finger stopping was possible + endos etc with two. With this foul disk setup two finger braking HARD will just stop me and NO endos etc!!!

These RST's have the "mounts" for V bosses BUT no bosses i have tried removing them from the old set of RST's but they are really on there and are rounding off instead of coming off!! I would love to put my V's back on but ain't sure what size thread im looking for and well RST's site is useless AND to top it off my neighbours nipper has painted the forks :roll: for some reason and i'm not sure of the model!!!

The fork crown is black the stanchions are gold (anodizing??) and the lower legs WERE white. Any idea where i might purchase some (online if poss) i only have to get another year out of this lot (mrs needs bike before me as hers is....... A Boss....... Full Sus :shock: all 40+ lbs of it :lol: .

So she gets one first. Any ideas can take pics if needed.

Thanx.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    take it into your LBS and see what they have.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Forks are RST Gila Plus T6's. I've removed one of the springs and the forks action is much improved (can get all the travel now :roll: ). From looking on the net (and from experience) in know that these are nothing more than "OEM" fodder BUT for the trail riding they will be doing they do just fine.

I would love to go take it to my LBS however the one that i HAVE used (before we discovered online shopping :lol: :roll: ). Was staffed by "surly" old types who knew what you wanted BEFORE you did (and will be tide you if questioned there knowledge..... Or actually knew something about bikes).

And the "cool" 20 somethings who blanked you to speak to there hanger on "mates" who litter up the shop "groping" the display bikes :lol: and don't tend to even bother with you unless you start looking at the £2000+ full sussers :evil:!!

So i tend to fix our bikes myself (can fix most things.... even built the odd wheel). Any where i can just order some from? tis' an easy job (and the buggers would prob charge me £30! :lol: ).

Thanx.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,171
    There are at least 3 different sizes: M8, M10 and M6 (these are quite rare and found on arzocchi Z1 Bomber fork).

If you measure the diameter of the hole then it will most likley be M8 or M10.

To remove a stubborn boss, apply heat with blow torch - I had to do that on Proflex swing arm; you can get it quite hot (150 C) with no risk of paint damage. you need to be careful as once the flats have started to round off, you have only a few more attempts beforee the go completelly.
  • Thanks for the advice mate but i've found some on eBay for under a tenner so they should do me good...... Can get rid of this FOUL mechanical Disk Brake.

Thanx.