How fit will I get cycling to work?

BobGeldart
BobGeldart Posts: 41
edited June 2011 in Commuting general
I know this is an almost impossible question to answer but anyway...

I now cycle to work 12 miles each way. What effect will it have on my fitness level? I push myself as hard as possible on each journey.

Comments

• jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    BobGeldart wrote:

I now cycle to work 12 miles each way. What effect will it have on my fitness level? I push myself as hard as possible on each journey.

You will be incredibly fit, but do be careful you don't go the same way as Bruce Lee who, as we all know, died of being too fit.
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    BobGeldart wrote:

it will improve cardiovascular capability and tone legs and thighs. It will aid with weight loss. It wont do much for upper body. Be careful not to over do it by pushing too hard all the time. You need to do some 'recovery' rides at a lower pace a couple of times a week, or a longer slower ride at weekends. Eat well and properly, carbs before riding, proteins after, to provide energy and promote muscle repair.

There is no unique measure of fitness... but on my 15mile each way commute my speed has improved from 13 to 16mph average and my average heart rate has dropped from 150 to 135 over a 5month period and I've lost 4.5kg. If you havent got one yet, get a bike computer and a heart rate monitor (preferably combined), then you can see things improving...
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    BobGeldart wrote:

it will improve cardiovascular capability and tone legs and thighs. It will aid with weight loss. It wont do much for upper body. Be careful not to over do it by pushing too hard all the time. You need to do some 'recovery' rides at a lower pace a couple of times a week, or a longer slower ride at weekends. Eat well and properly, carbs before riding, proteins after, to provide energy and promote muscle repair.

There is no unique measure of fitness... but on my 15mile each way commute my speed has improved from 13 to 16mph average and my average heart rate has dropped from 150 to 135 over a 5month period and I've lost 4.5kg. If you havent got one yet, get a bike computer and a heart rate monitor (preferably combined), then you can see things improving...

Well said!

12 miles should get the OP pretty fit imo. Best advice I can offer in addition is:

-warm up into the ride, spend the first and last 15 minutes of your journey (probably a mile or two) riding gently.
    -Then increase the pressure slightly. You're amining to be out of breath and a raised heart rate, but not so much that you feel like you're going to die.

-Remember to drink plenty of fluids, especially this time of year! On my 12 mile sprint I would use atleast a bottle of 500ml drink (50:50 OJ and water is my fave)

-Use a few stretching exercises before and after the rides just to limber up and aid flexibility. You will feel better for it (I think there were some printed on here? Thighs calves and hamstring, etc).
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    +1 to what everyone above has said.

Guess the real question is how fit are you looking to get by using the ride to work? It will do you loads of good as you are clocking up the miles so with good nutrition & hydration you will increase fitness levels & aid in losing weight & fat.

To add my part I would say that if you have the option to vary your route then do so. Use your main route as a good base & will be easier to monitor any gains if you take the HRM bike computer option. The see if you can build in a longer ride one day, a hillier route another day & possibly a flat route for speed work.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Carbonne
    Carbonne Posts: 20
    +1 to the above.

And you'll save a shed load of cash fuelling a vehicle. But you'll spend it on bike bits and new clothes because your waist size will drop!
    It\'s not the destination that\'s important, it\'s the journey!
  • I was asking myself the very same question about 8 weeks ago when I started cycling to work a couple times a week.

Fitness wise it's hard to gauge, my commute is 15 miles each way which I'm doing at least twice but aiming for and achieving 3 times a week most weeks. When I started doing it I was tired by 5pm, I work a back shift 2 - 10ish. Now I hardly get any tiredness through the day unless the kids have been up during the night/very early. My legs aren't sore at any point in the day which they were when I first started and I generally have a lot more energy now.

My commute is flat the whole way with a westerly wind of between 5 and 15mph (according to the beeb), I have the wind behind me on the way in and vice-versa at night coming home. I tend to vary what muscles I'm using so once I've been on the bike for 2 or 3 miles and warmed up I'll try riding at a very high cadence for 2 or 3 miles then switch to a bigger gear for a couple of miles just to mix it up a bit. My weight has gone from 13st 9lb to a much more agreeable12th 13lb which I can't believe. I'd love to lose another 12 - 18lbs through the 'summer', we'll see :D

The folk who have already commented have nailed pretty much everything, the one thing I find makes a big difference for me is getting proper, quality sleep. I've found that I'm eating more, though it tends to be lots of smaller snacky type things through the day after my commute into work then a meal about 7pm. I find fruit, sandwiches on brown/seedy bread, spread cheeses and yoghurts tick the boxes for me and lots of water.

Like others have said the money you save on fuel you'll spend on new tackle and clothes but that's good.

Good luck.

Craig :D
  • Drysuitdiver
    Drysuitdiver Posts: 474
    very. I have lost a huge amount ( 3 stone) OK, not as much as Gaz in Manchester but thats down to cycling . all the others have covered the main points.
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • BobGeldart
    I've survived the first week but my arse is like a blood orange, how long before this saddle soreness subsides?
  • optimisticbiker
    BobGeldart wrote:
    I've survived the first week but my ars* is like a blood orange, how long before this saddle soreness subsides?
    What are you wearing to cycle?
  • BobGeldart
    Boxers and Humvee shorts.
  • BobGeldart wrote:
    I've survived the first week but my ars* is like a blood orange, how long before this saddle soreness subsides?

Get the missus to massage it better, worked for me :lol:

On a more truthful note it took me about a month to stop having a sore backside :(
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    BobGeldart wrote:

Initially I skimmed through your post not paying sufficient attention and was reading the comments thinking 120miles......... wow, chapeau!

But then looked again and laughed. 12 miles is a warm up :wink: .
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • optimisticbiker
    BobGeldart wrote:
    Boxers and Humvee shorts.
    Do you mean normal boxers? I'd suggest something more padded
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    BobGeldart wrote:

You will be incredibly fit, but do be careful you don't go the same way as Bruce Lee who, as we all know, died of being too fit.

Or cerebral edema ...
    Donald Teare, a forensic scientist recommended by Scotland Yard who had overseen over 1,000 autopsies, was assigned to the Lee case. His conclusion was "death by misadventure" caused by an acute cerebral edema due to a reaction to compounds present in the drug Equagesic.
    FCN 3/5/9
  • crumpetman
    crumpetman Posts: 11
    I have been doing 12 ish miles each way for just over a year and am definitely fitter than I was but I still would not say I am properly fit, bike fit maybe. I have lost about a stone to a stone and a half but I have not really changed my diet.

I still eat junk food and do not pay any particular attention to eating/drinking certain things before riding nor do I do any stretching or any other exercise on a regular basis.

I would say if you combine the cycling with a good diet then you would see more improvement in your fitness levels. Even just from the cycling with no other changes you will surely be fitter and lose a little weight.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    downfader wrote:
    -warm up into the ride, spend the first and last 15 minutes of your journey (probably a mile or two) riding gently.
    -Then increase the pressure slightly. You're amining to be out of breath and a raised heart rate, but not so much that you feel like you're going to die.

-Remember to drink plenty of fluids, especially this time of year! On my 12 mile sprint I would use atleast a bottle of 500ml drink (50:50 OJ and water is my fave)

-Use a few stretching exercises before and after the rides just to limber up and aid flexibility. You will feel better for it (I think there were some printed on here? Thighs calves and hamstring, etc).

First and last 15 minutes riding gently? That leaves about 5 minutes for riding hard.

Personally, I don't think 12 miles is worth any of this except, maybe, going steady for 5 minutes at the beginning and stretching afterwards until your legs get used to it. I do none of this on my 15-mile each way hilly (see below) commute. Certainly no need for a drink until afterwards. And it's not because I ride a zillion miles at the weekend - I almost only commute - but once you are used to it, it's like a walk to the shops.

You will get fitter - my resting heart rate (RHR) has dropped from around 60 to 53 in a little over a year. I've lost no weight and/but have put on core and upper-body muscle - but then I tend to muscle the bike more than most.

And do find time to have a proper rest. I keep "rediscovering" this - but my greatest performance gains have been the spells off the bike.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    You'll be a damn site fitter than the weekend warriors !!

You'd be surprised at how many folk you drop on a Sportive. :D

Use your commute as training and you'll get very fit !
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    You'll really start to notice after a couple of months regular cycling. I've only just started commuting a few days a week (18miles each way) and my evening rides in the previous 6 months have meant that it's not a struggle at all. I'm eating loads more than before I started cycling and have lost weight. The biggest improvement is general body tone, my GF certainly approves. Only thing as said above, get ready to buy new clothes because you will lose weight! 8)

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • seadog12
    seadog12 Posts: 36
    Amazon are selling the Garmin 305 for a bargain £97.44, brilliant training tool and an excellent way to tack your fitness progress :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000FMQ296/r ... _pe_epc_d1

Here's an example of the data you get back: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/93090759
  • As far as the arse is concerned, you just have to get used to it. But you can make it much easier by wearing lycra bib shorts with a proper chamois (pronounced shammy), which is the shaped pad that protects your battered blood orange. Wiggle's own brand Team Wiggle shorts have a very good chamois and cost peanuts next to brand-name stuff. Don't wear underpants under your lycra shorts.

Secondly, consider a Brooks leather saddle. No more expensive than modern saddles (my latest one cost £55 quid from All Terrain Cycles), and they are sooooo comfy I've put one on my racer as well as my commuter. The extra comfort far outweighs any, er, weight gain.

Also you might benefit from chamois cream, which is ointment that lubricates your groinal area. It's not for your ringpiece, it's for your crevices where your shorts rub.

Mudguard Nazi, FCN 10
  • snailracer
    snailracer Posts: 968
    BobGeldart wrote:

If you used to cycle to work 13 miles each way before, you might become less fit :P
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    BobGeldart wrote:

If you push yourself hard for 12 miles each way each day then you won't get fit, you'll get knackered.
    Put a couple of recovery days in and you'll get as fit as you want to be.
    On a recovery day take ride but take it easy. Taking it easy is actually the hard bit.
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • cloggsy
    cloggsy Posts: 243
    dondare wrote:
    Taking it easy is actually the hard bit.

Seconded! When you get in a rhythm, its so hard not to push :lol:
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    cloggsy wrote:
    dondare wrote:
    Taking it easy is actually the hard bit.

Seconded! When you get in a rhythm, its so hard not to push :lol:

When you see another bike 300 yards ahead - that's when it's impossible not to push!
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • andrewlwood
    andrewlwood Posts: 224
    1. Definitely get a pair of shorts with a chamois.
    2. My anecdotal experience is that when I cycle my 8mi each way commute 3-5 times a week, I lose about 1 kg/month, without watching my weight. When I stop, it goes back on at about 0.5kg/month. And I get 3-4mph faster on average, and much less out of puff!