Oh s**t help with my hydrolic brakes

eggey17
eggey17 Posts: 39
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
i need help , i got my lawn mower out of the garage tonight (wife !!) nagging to cut the lawn, but i was taking the bike out and i pressed the front brake ( without the wheel on now the brakes have locked shut!! . i do not have a clue what to do to get the brakes reset can some kind person please help (its got hydrolic brakes) what tools do i need to do it thanks for your help.

Comments

• ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    use something like a plastic tyre lever to push in between the pads to push the pistons back. worst comes to worst and it's shut tight you can use a flat bladed screwdriver CAREFULLY! to start them off (no ham fisted approaches or you will damage the pad surface). Don't worry it's not a biggie and can be sorted easily!
  • hucking_fell
    hucking_fell Posts: 1,056
    I've got a very thin butter knife (with an ivory handle 8) ) that I use to push / pull the pads apart. Don't twist anything between the pads 'cos that might wreck them. I make sure that I've as much knife between the pads as possible before pushing / pulling equally at either side of the caliper.

Don't try this with a sharp knife for obvious reasons.
    More freerange chicken than Freeride God
    Bighit , 5 , BFe
  • eggey17
    eggey17 Posts: 39
    thanks guys