Stirling Corner

dugliss
dugliss Posts: 235
edited July 2011 in Commuting chat
Anybody have to cross the A1 at Stirling Corner on their commute? It`s a nightmare roundabout and I hate having to cross it, been looking for an alternative but can`t find anything without having to go miles off route. And why bother having little bits of cycle path in Borehamwood which just stop and start at random points

Comments

• t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    That phenonema is not limited to Borehamwood
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • dugliss
    t4tomo wrote:

I`m sure it isn`t. Just seems so stupid, more dangerous than not having any cycle path at all
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    I often cross it on my weekend rides when I go up to South Mimms and pick up the B556 en route to either Hertford or St Albans
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • dugliss
    I often cross it on my weekend rides when I go up to South Mimms and pick up the B556 en route to either Hertford or St Albans

I have to cross Borehamwood to Barnet at around 1pm on weekdays and I don`t mind admitting it scares the crap outta me, and the new Morrisons really hasn`t helped matters
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    im a weird one who actually enjoys these roundabouts
  • optimisticbiker
    spasypaddy wrote:
    Trust me this isnt one to enjoy... three lanes of fast moving traffic to negotiate as people tank up the A1 to the M25.. 80% of the traffic runs North-South so crossing east-west isnt easy ...

@Dugliss - why not cross the A1 on the Rowley Lane bridge and down to Barnet Lane that way?
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    spasypaddy wrote:
    Trust me this isnt one to enjoy... three lanes of fast moving traffic to negotiate as people tank up the A1 to the M25.. 80% of the traffic runs North-South so crossing east-west isnt easy ...

@Dugliss - why not cross the A1 on the Rowley Lane bridge and down to Barnet Lane that way?
    i know stirling corner, ive lived in barnet all my life.
  • optimisticbiker
    spasypaddy wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:

i know stirling corner, ive lived in barnet all my life.
    OK, then you are just weird :roll: :D
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    A1 and commute isn't two words I'd put together north of the Archway Tower. No way I'd use it near Newcastle.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • dugliss
    spasypaddy wrote:

I reckon that`s what I`m gonna have to do, do you know if the path/cycle path alongside the A1 goes all the way up to the bridge or if I`ll have to go through Borehamwood? I`m coming from Bushey so I don`t really want to go through Borehamwood centre unless I really have to
  • optimisticbiker
    dugliss wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:

I reckon that`s what I`m gonna have to do, do you know if the path/cycle path alongside the A1 goes all the way up to the bridge or if I`ll have to go through Borehamwood? I`m coming from Bushey so I don`t really want to go through Borehamwood centre unless I really have to

OK, I'm guessing your coming east along A411 Watford Road/Barnet lane. You have two options - ride down to the A1 then left onto the cycle path up to the Rowley lane bridge, you come off the path at the junction and loop round the exit off the A1. Option 2 - probably nicer tho not ridden it - is to turn left at the small roundabout before you get to the A1 onto Furzehill, then 1st right onto Ashley Drive, then Balmoral Drivethen right on Newark Green and onto the slip road over the bridge, it only adds 0.5mile over the direct route...
  • dugliss
    Excellent, I`ll try out both ways next week and see what`s best. I think option 2 is the way the 107 bus goes
  • Brakeless
    Brakeless Posts: 865
    Another way that I use is tofollow rowley lane the other way (check google maps) it joins the A1 by the foot/cycle bridge, go over the bridge and follow galley lane up to wood street then down to Barnet. It's abit longer than Rowley Lane the other way but its very quiet, just watch the footbridge if it's wet as all the horse sh&t on it makes it seem like ice!
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    t4tomo wrote:

This is my favourite cycle path on my commute - that is it in its entirety: