Archery

SimonAH
SimonAH Posts: 3,730
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
Anyone into it? Bought the blighter a bow and arrow set back from France and she's done nothing but fizz arrows into cardboard boxes all day!

Quote "Tomorrow Daddy can we go to the forest to find apples to shoot?" Bloody Disney!

Charliethearcher.jpg
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Comments

• mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    i found that when i was into the old "Bow n Arra" that when you shot a cardboard box the arrow would go all the way through til the flights on the arrow an rip them off.

cost me a fortune in arrows!!
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • SimonAH
    Fortunately the blighter is not packing Herculean drawing skills as yet - but I will fabricate a proper target this afternoon when I get back from the office for this very reason.

• mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    i would definitely advise to wear the arm guard too

you end up with friction burns on your inner arm off the string
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Does that mean you have to drink lots of wine to keep nipper in "targets" (assuming that's the box in the background)? You're a trooper!
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    mudcow007 wrote:
    could also be worth finding some protective clothing for the cat...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    You won't complain when she's bringing home the venison 8)
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Oh bless her! She'll have your eye out!!!
  • bearfraser
    bearfraser Posts: 435
    try and get/borrow/steal a small hay bale to shoot into , the arrows dont penatrate very far , and holds the arrow nicely.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Don't just don't put bikes in shed, then target in front of shed. It will end in tears.....
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    mudcow007 wrote:

you end up with friction burns on your inner arm off the string

I wondered where my brother had got to....
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    SimonAH wrote:
    Fortunately the blighter is not packing Herculean drawing skills as yet - but I will fabricate a proper target this afternoon when I get back from the office for this very reason.

Mow the lawn while you're at it! :wink:
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Oh dear me this brings back nightmares.

started at about 12 stopped at about 19 after coaching/captaining at School etc. found all the Local clubs to small minded. Ending up back at Uni and found myself shooting for the Uni(having not loosed and arrow for longer than most had been shooting).

arm guard is a must as it will help her start out right.

the nightmare for those that want to know PGL adventure holidays. instructing young ladies on the art of drawing the string back.

No you don't position the string there it WILL hurt and I CAN'T rub it better.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • hfidgen
    hfidgen Posts: 340
    - Old car tyre
    - Hardboard cut to fit inside back rim
    - Stuff full of straw / newspaper / old rags
    - Cardboard cut to fit inside front rim
    - Draw target

A little craft project to make, and serves a purpose perfectly! Except when the arrows hit the rubber and bounce off spearing your mother... That didn't go down well thinking about it...
    FCN 4 - BMC CX02
  • jeremyrundle
    jeremyrundle Posts: 1,014
    The first thing you need to do for safety is teac her the correct way to hold a bow and arrow, never have the arrow between the fingers.

Also the quiver needs to be round the back it is a danger where it is, finall if there is a road, neighbour, path next to the house I hope for your sake you have good public liability insurance.

I have also seen arrows "rebound", which is why no one would use them in a garden and proper establishments would not even sell them to someone. It may be a toy bow but who would you blame if she were blinded by a rebound.

And yes I have done Archery.
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • SimonAH
    Jeremy old fellow, you are nothing if not predictable.

Get a grip.

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Most of that I agree with.

except the fingers. yes the fingers should not touch the shaft. but I always have one above and mainly two below.

But I have never done any Field Archery Just target.

And dangerous is Archery.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Chill guys - she's a kid - I don't think technique is that important as long as she's enjoying herself.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    SimonAH wrote:
    Quote "Tomorrow Daddy can we go to the forest to find apples to shoot?" Bloody Disney!

You do know where the apple will be when she tries to shoot it, don't you?

This will not be how you walk out of the forest.
    4011329952_ae41033fdc.jpg
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • cyclingpast
    cyclingpast Posts: 111
    The first thing you need to do for safety is teac her the correct way to hold a bow and arrow, never have the arrow between the fingers.

Also the quiver needs to be round the back it is a danger where it is, finall if there is a road, neighbour, path next to the house I hope for your sake you have good public liability insurance.

I have also seen arrows "rebound", which is why no one would use them in a garden and proper establishments would not even sell them to someone. It may be a toy bow but who would you blame if she were blinded by a rebound.

And yes I have done Archery.

Three fingers below normally, one finger above and two below if using a bow sight.
    Giant Defy 3
    FCN 5

All wrenching and no riding makes me frickin' angry...
  • Confusedboy
    Confusedboy Posts: 287
    So, the French are exporting bows'n'arrers to us are they? Things have changed since Agincourt....
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    nicklouse wrote:

the nightmare for those that want to know PGL adventure holidays. instructing young ladies on the art of drawing the string back.

Is that a euphemism?

In what possible way is it a nightmare standing behind young ladeez and putting your arm's round them and using your manly strength to help them draw the bow?

Or was it the intense concentration required to stay off the sex offender's register?

"is that an arrow in your quiver or are just pleased to see me?"
  • SimonAH
    Well now safety Nazis......

The earlier photo that so incensed you was just a little girl posing, but...

I got out my box of leather offcuts and made a wrist guard (good tip folks!)
    I fabricated a target using a flat cardboard box filled with newspaper and bubble wrap - sounds odd but has actually performed well (although after a weekend of Agincourt style activity I need to make another one).
    The mini AH is issued with safety goggles.
    The target is set 10ft from an eight foot solid fence at a height of two feet from the ground. The fence backs on to the back of a garage.
    And I mowed the lawn :D (after this photo was taken though) :oops:

She's drilling bullseyes with good regularity - I may have started something that will cost me money shortly.....

CharlietheArcher-1.jpg

• Redmog
    Redmog Posts: 50
    Nearly there, the arrow needs to rest on the other side of the bow and jobs a good-un.

Obviously Dad needs a rig too, then all you need to do is work out how to mount it all on the bike so you can lose your sundays at your local field archery club looking for arrows in the woods.

If you find one that looks like this, can I have it back please?
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    Ha, just got my 10 year old daughter a target from Decathlon, some target sheets to pin onto the target, a few extra arrows and arm guards for her birthday. I will build a target stand myself, rather than buy one.

The main problem so far is finding the arrows - how about luminous yellow arrows, just like the cycling stuff. The arm guards came with a finger tab - had to google this, is it necessary? Currently she is using her 3 fingers below the arrow and none above, but the finger tab requires a finger above the arrow, (she has the same type of bow as in the OP pic). I noticed decathlon also sell spare fletches, points and nocks. Do you just glue on the fletches if a repair needs to be made?
  • Redmog
    Redmog Posts: 50
    I find white nocks are the easiest to see, and a the handle from one of those 'behind the radiator paint rollers' is the ideal tool for raking the grass around the target area for arrows. There is nothing to stop you using the tab under the arrow - unless you do competitions . . .
    Bostick is good for fletchings, just put an extra blob at the front of the fletch to make sure it does not come off as it goes past her hand.

Andy.