Bottecchia Bkies...

JST
JST Posts: 158
edited June 2011 in The bottom bracket
One of my LBS's has started stocking Bottecchia bikes. I think they look lovely and am eyeing up the 8AVIO. However unfortunatley no one is buying boats at the mo so I am very poor, so It will have to stay in the shop for now :(

I can't find much info on them other than the company web site http://www.bottecchia.com/default.asp?lan=1 amd some old thread on an American forum about Bottecchia USA that were some form of rip-off version - Anyone know much about them?

Comments

• Lucky Luke
    Lucky Luke Posts: 402
    Why not ask in the shop where they're selling them ?
    Luke
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Can't say I know a lot about them but they've certainly been around a while. I think a few on here have had one over the years and 'Fatbirds' have been selling them for ages.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Ottavio Bottecchia died in very suspicious circumstances in 1927- the bikes were named following his TDF victory. Greg Lemond rode one to victoryin the TDF in 1989, about the last time they were seen in the pro peloton. They are still a popular Italian brand.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    Aqua and Sapone ride/rode Bottecchias, no?
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • Grifteruk
    Grifteruk Posts: 244
    My clubmate has got one.

it looks fantastic and he loves it. Not quite as good looking as my bike, but then I would say that wouldn't I. :wink: He says that aqua Sapone ride them too.

My philosophy is if you like it, buy it. You only live once. If I didn't have my bike, I'd seriously look at it.
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,920
    Yea I think Phil s is right with Aqua and Sapone.

I think vacansoleil was riding them last year before moving to Ridley bikes
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • JST
    Luke, thanks for your helpful answer... of course I spoke to the shop about them but as I said I am not in a serious position to buy one so I don't want to waste their time when they have proper customers to talk to. Also they are hardley likely to tell me if they are actually not that good. So I thought I'd come on a bike chat forum and discuss them with other cyclists - is that ok?

Everyone else - cheers, so there are a couple of teams that ride them, so I guess they are just brought in to the UK in small numbers so not well known here.

Grifter - has your mate has his long, do you know which model it is?

Monty - just read about him on Wikipedia and his death was indead a bit odd...
  • simpoman
    simpoman Posts: 29
    Was in the same shop recently, also admiring them. Ones I saw were campag equipped and that puts me off a bit, prefer the japanese!! Seemed like a good price for the spec though.
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    simpoman wrote:
    Was in the same shop recently, also admiring them. Ones I saw were campag equipped and that puts me off a bit, prefer the japanese!! Seemed like a good price for the spec though.
    You clearly don't deserve one :x
  • Grifteruk
    Grifteruk Posts: 244
    Not sure on the model, it's red and White and he got it earlier this year. Think it's the top of the range frame.

He'll be doing the dragon on it tomorrow and he's kicking ass on it at the mo, he says it's improved his cycling a lot, even if it's only in is 'ead !
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    phil s wrote:
    Aqua and Sapone ride/rode Bottecchias, no?

asbettiniphoto_0044628_1_full_download__600.jpg
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • JST
    Smokin Joe wrote:
    You clearly don't deserve one :x

Having browsed the Acqua & Sapone team website http://www.abruzzoteam.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=66 I can tell you that they are an Italian team riding Italian bikes with Shimano Dura Ace groupset! :P

Simpoman... You live in the Bay somewhere then or just visiting?