Saddle height

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,120
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
What's a quick way of setting saddle height? Am sure the saddle on my road bike is too low

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    quick and dirty:

heel on the pedal at its lowest and your leg should be straight.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    +1 When your foot is then in the pedalling position then the knee will be slightly flexed.

IMO if the saddle height is out it's better too low than too high BTW.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Setting the saddle height can only be completed on a full moon on the 13th day of the month, as long as it is a Tuesday and you must have a small guinea pig present, called Philip.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    I was going to use the method used by the first two kind replies

However, GTVLusso's sounds intriguing...

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • SecretSam wrote:
    I was going to use the method used by the first two kind replies

However, GTVLusso's sounds intriguing...

You'll have to wait until August, though. I use the other method, and then lower the saddle a bit, because otherwise my hamstrings ache and I lack top-end power.
  • mcj78
    mcj78 Posts: 634
    I've been mucking around with mine lately (oo-er) & found the optimal height for riding on the tops & hoods was just slightly too high when going down onto the drops for some reason, make sure you try out all permutations of hand placements before settling on a height & as previously stated, slightly too low isn't as uncomfortable as slightly too high.
    j
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    i thought you could only find your true saddle height on the summer solstice an you have to dress like a druid
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    The simple way is to push right down on the pedal your backside should be *just* clear of the saddle, or just unweighted
  • hfidgen
    hfidgen Posts: 340
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Setting the saddle height can only be completed on a full moon on the 13th day of the month, as long as it is a Tuesday and you must have a small guinea pig present, called Philip.

+1

Though the mind boggles :shock:
    FCN 4 - BMC CX02
  • ince
    ince Posts: 289
    Do I have to book Phillip or will any guinea pig called Philip do? I don't want to end up with a pig that's better at indexing gears!
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    I know a full bike fit is the "in" thing, i have always found the Lemond method works for me ...

(inside leg x.883) = saddle height from the centre of the bottom bracket -. top of saddle.

This of course assumes you have the right size cranks , heel on pedal with leg straight gives me the same distance more or less.

As i run 2 bikes i prefer the calculation method as they both have the same crank length and are set up for the same saddle height, saddle setback and reach to handlebars .

I use a tape measure and write down al of the important stuff so i can replicate fit on any bike, it also helps me to choose a new bike when i can compare the new bikes geometry so i can narrow down my choices ....
    FCN 3/5/9
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    the quickest way is to set the saddle height so its in line with the top of your thigh bone, then make any small adjustments from there.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    The heel on pedal method is a starting point but it gives different results depending on how thick your shoe sole is and how thick the shoe's rubber heel pad is.

I find it better to sit on the bike clipped in, leaning on a wall, with a mirror on the opposite wall, observing the angle of bend at my knee when the pedal is at the bottom of the revolution. I have rollers so can pretty conveniently test out how it feels after an adjustment.

Once you've set the height, go for a ride. You'll easily be able to feel your legs extending too far if it's too high. Additional clues your arse/hips will excessively rock from side to side when you pedal and you will feel excessive pressure on your perineum (making it likely that you'll get saddle sores).
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Herbsman wrote:

Once you've set the height, go for a ride. You'll easily be able to feel your legs extending too far if it's too high. Additional clues your ars*/hips will excessively rock from side to side when you pedal and you will feel excessive pressure on your perineum (making it likely that you'll get saddle sores).

I just altered mine a bit and just one ride to work and the back gave me a sore patch, ouch so I have dropped it down a tad, I just thought it might have been not being on it for a few weeks due to hols, thanks for making that connection in my head.