Grinding - Bottom Bracket possibly?

saddymatt
saddymatt Posts: 8
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I have a carrera fury, three weeks old, on a ride last night I noticed, particularly on climbs, that there was a feint grindingnoise coming from the bottom bracket area. When I got home I cleaned the bike down and just had a little spin just to check, all seemed fine. On my commute to work today I travelled around 3 miles before it started again.

Any ideas? is it my bottom bracket or should I look elsewhere, how do I repair?, I'm a beginner so not sure where to start, if its any help the noise happens as my right is fully extended as the pedal passes this point.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    process of elimination of bits tbh. removing, cleaning, re-greasing. If its 3 weeks old i'd take it back and let them sort it personally.
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    Yeah, if you bought it new it's not your problem, take it back and let them fix it.

If you cba or got it second hand, the easy way to check the bottom bracket is shift it down to the small chain ring, unhook the chain and give the cranks a spin. It should be perfectly smooth, if there's any kind of grinding at all it probably needs replacing.
  • saddymatt
    saddymatt Posts: 8
    Cheers for the responses, just dropped it off for checking over/repair, will be collecting at 4pm, will let you know the outcome.