What kind of discounts on LY model bikes should you expect?

Applespider
Applespider Posts: 506
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
What kind of discount is usual on a LY model (or year before)?

There's an LBS near me with an [url=http://www.mikevaughancycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b1s20p1457[/url] for £750 (orig RRP £999). They told me that it was last year's model but looking at the colour/spec online, it's clear that it's an 09 one. A 2011 7.7fx is £1350 (which I wouldn't pay in any case for a commuting hybrid).

Given that we're nearly at 2012 bikes being available, is it a good deal? I have that fear of 'burd = someone we can fob/rip off' although I don't think LBS are as bad as car dealerships in that respect.

Comments

• McBoom
    McBoom Posts: 78
    My LBS has 20% off all bikes come end of the season (around sept).

25% is a decent saving, and bear in mind the '09 model has a slightly better spec than '10 (Ultegra rear derailleur vs 105) so they might not be keen to give any further discount. No harm in seeing if they can knock another 5% off though just to be rid of it :wink:

The price of the 2011 bike just shows what a good deal it is, relative to buying a current model, as it'd cost you 80% more for pretty much the same bike. Recent inflation coupled with a weak pound means a well discounted '09 bike is probably about the best value you could get.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Well, it looks OK. As McBoom says, you'll get better value on '09 bikes than current ones due to the exchange rates no longer being as good.

It's only available in one size mind, so make sure it fits!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    What kind of discount is usual on a LY model (or year before)?

This time of year there are almost none of last years stock left and demand is high
    So don't expect to be able to make any sort of good deal
  • desweller
    Forgot to add, don't worry about last year's model being in some way inferior to this year's - bikes aren't computers, they basically don't change.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Applespider
    Applespider Posts: 506
    Thanks guys for the advice.

The one I've seen isn't the one in the link above - that just had the basic stats handy. Thankfully, the one in my LBS is precisely my size - shortass.

I'm going to go in and give it a test run over the weekend and I'll see how it feels. I am sorely tempted... aside from promising myself that my next bike would be some fabulously bright colour... and this is champagne :?
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    DesWeller wrote:
    Forgot to add, don't worry about last year's model being in some way inferior to this year's - bikes aren't computers, they basically don't change.

For the last two or three years the tendency has been for equivalent models in a manufacturer's range to be downgraded in the newer models.

For example, my 2011 Giant Defy 3 has a 2200 groupset and unbranded rims. The 2009 Defy 3 had Sora and Alex rims. Contact points and other bits and pieces aren't as nice on the 2011, either.
  • desweller
    nation wrote:
    DesWeller wrote:

For the last two or three years the tendency has been for equivalent models in a manufacturer's range to be downgraded in the newer models.

For example, my 2011 Giant Defy 3 has a 2200 groupset and unbranded rims. The 2009 Defy 3 had Sora and Alex rims. Contact points and other bits and pieces aren't as nice on the 2011, either.

Oh, well, there you go then! They actually get worse!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}