Hydraulic brakes locked on

Andrew Brown
Andrew Brown Posts: 30
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I regularly commute on my Giant XTC with MPH hydraulic disc brakes which has to stay outside all day locked up in the corner of the car park.

On a hot day, such as today, when I come to ride home I find that the brakes are almost locked on, after a few pumps of the levers they release enough to start riding and are almost back to normal after about 10 minutes.

I thinking that there may be some air in the system that expands in the hot weather, is this the likely cause?

I had the system bled last year does this have to be done on a regular basis? If the system is sealed how does the air get in?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds like you have the old closed system. back off the pad adjuster.

If it was air the levers would be spongy and the brakes would not work.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Thanks but I have loosened the adjuster in the lever as far as it will go and still getting the problem
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    which version of the brakes are they?

what has been done to them over the time you have owned them?

bet they have been over filled at some time.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • MPH-3 Model Year 2002

Not sure what's been done in the past, just took it into the shop and told them the problem and asked them to sort it, I think I can remember them saying that they bled them, that was about a year ago. Charged me about 10 quid if thats any help