Are Sidi insoles just rubbish?

nicknick
nicknick Posts: 535
edited May 2017 in Road buying advice
I have just got a pair of Sidi genius 5 which sat in the living room fit great, however while riding I'm getting pain in the balls of my feet (outside) which on a 25 mile ride tonight became unbearable. My old shoes are Specialized with the BG insoles, so when i got in i swapped the insoles round and rode down the road just half a mile and my feet felt much better. Obviously a proper ride will tell if it's cured!

Has anyone else had a similar experience with Sidi insoles?

Comments

• wasabi_m
    wasabi_m Posts: 164
    Sidi insoles are pish. Get used to them with time though.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Same story here - SIDI shoes with Spesh insoles

( I have funny shaped feet though so most insoles feel rubbish to me...)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • nicknick
    ddraver wrote:
    Same story here - SIDI shoes with Spesh insoles

( I have funny shaped feet though so most insoles feel rubbish to me...)

Good to hear! I was on the verge of flogging them tonight. Felt like ball of my foot was overhanging the actual sole but i don't have wide feet. Fingers crossed good old specialized will fix it!
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,857
    I was going to retire some Spesh pro Road in favour of some Sidi Ergo 2's until I tried some on....

They look a million dollars, but feel about 20 quid.

Shame, I really wanted some.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449
    Sidi insoles are utterly rubbish, bin them immediately.
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    Just rubbish!

They even have the front to offer them as an after market spare.

The worst bit is that if you buy a 'Mega' sized pair of shoes you still get a regular fit insole which leaves a 2-3mm gap for the edge of your foot toes to fall into.

Sidas Conformable insoles from Adrian Timmis at Cadence Sport for me.
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • glasgowbhoy
    glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
    for shoes that cost that much its very poor they have so little regard for the insoles.
  • forward_loop
    forward_loop Posts: 314
    they are absolutely ridiculously bad for the price of the shoe. I also found out the other day that 90% of British shoes are now made in what 10 years ago would have been a wide fitting.
    I have had exactly the same thing with my Sidis, the last is just too narrow at the point over the pedal. I have spez insoles now - but these take up more toe room and there is still pain there after 50miles.

I am moving on to another make.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    I must have weird feet as I have got on fine with mine for the past 7 years :oops:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Bluegnu
    Bluegnu Posts: 15
    Yup, utter junk.

For the price of the shoes I would expect to find in the box a variety of different shaped/softness of insole; along with a pair of buxom maidens to help me slip them on and off and fill the shoes with crushed rose petals after every ride to keep them smelling nice.

I ditched the supplied ones and replaced them with Spesh insoles. After using Spesh shoes for years and switching to Sidi I noticed that I was putting more weight on the outside of my foot (with the pain) and my knee was wobbling around a bit more when pedalling. When you buy the Spesh insoles you get the shims that can tilt the foot out slightly and I've found that using these helped me too; but as someone pointed out they do fill the shoe up a bit and my feet still go numb after a while. Hopefully with time they'll squash down a bit and settle down.
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    you need to wear them in...Sidi are really really stiff from new and need a shed load of time to run them in. I got a set of 6.5's which killed my feet (other sidis have been great) ...almost binned them (well fleebay) by did more riding and they loosened a little (still not perfect) you find they last a lot longer as their far thougher.
    No problem with Shimano (R300's and M280s) but then they are moulded to my feet :-)
  • nicknick
    Thanks for all the responses, pretty much what i wanted to hear!! I did get the shoes from Merlin cycles very cheap (well, relatively) but still, i'm disappointed with Sidi.

With the (used) spesh insoles and a cleat adjustment they have felt much better but so far i've only commuted about 10 miles each way. I was on the verge of getting rid, but now i've worn them i can't return them either so i may as well try wear them in as turnerjohn says, a long ride tomorrow will give me a better idea.

Bluegnu- do the shims with the aftermarket insoles that are about £25? Your issue sounds just like mine too much weight on the outside of the foot.
  • glasgowbhoy
    glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
    102 miles today in the new ergo 2 shoes. Only the 2nd time out in them and the 1st with the new specialized BG fit insoles. Exactly 5 hours of pedaling and were like slippers.
    Result !
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    Yep - Sidi make great shoes and Spesh make great insoles!

I fitted Spesh footbeds to my Sidi's and they have provided great service and comfort on any length of ride.

Peter
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    Consider that they might put cheap insoles in their shoes for the same reason that good bikes don't come with pedals. They know that everyone has different feet and thus people might rather use their preferred type of insole i.e. whatever insoles are appropriate for their feet.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    Just ordered my first pair of Sidi's (genius pro 5's) so will be interested in how they compare to my usual Shimano RO86's.
  • nicknick
    Well i'm pleased to say after 2 60mile rides this weekend the shoes now feel great! A little pain on the arches of the foot for some reason for the first hour yesterday then they just seemed to settle down and felt great today. Feel very stiff and direct on steep climbs even compared to spesh full carbon soled shoes..

Herbsman, someone else suggested this, but at the price they charge, you should be able to choose your insole with the shoe.

sampras38-It would be interesting to hear your initial thoughts when they arrive! They are the same shoes i have.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    You make a good point about wearing SIDI's in too - go for a few wet rides and they ll loosen up and mould a bit until they start to feel like slippers....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    ddraver wrote:
    You make a good point about wearing SIDI's in too - go for a few wet rides and they ll loosen up and mould a bit until they start to feel like slippers....

So

Sidi = Brooks? Pain then gain :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    nicknick wrote:
    Well i'm pleased to say after 2 60mile rides this weekend the shoes now feel great! A little pain on the arches of the foot for some reason for the first hour yesterday then they just seemed to settle down and felt great today. Feel very stiff and direct on steep climbs even compared to spesh full carbon soled shoes..

Herbsman, someone else suggested this, but at the price they charge, you should be able to choose your insole with the shoe.

sampras38-It would be interesting to hear your initial thoughts when they arrive! They are the same shoes i have.

I'll update after a few rides and taking them to the Alps with me in a couple of weeks.
  • Personally I didn't lıke it . I advice Dr. Scholl’s Massaging Gel Work Insoles . I tried both of them and Dr.School is better ınsole . Dr. Scholl’s has always been a brand name associated with inserts; therefore, it’s a name brand that offers a reputable product such as the Massaging Gel Work Insoles. These inserts are constructed with a gel platform that cushions and support your feet, plus reduces the aches and pains associated with tired feet. In addition, depending on the support you require, the gel comes in a variety of thickness; the firmer the gel, the more support. Plus, because of the inclusive gel in the inserts, they also provide a massaging quality, and for those who are subjected to hard surfaces for lengthy periods of time, this can be an added benefit. Furthermore, they are tough enough to withstand a hard working man’s lifestyle.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,972
    Hmmm.
    I am wary.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    http://road.cc/content/news/222705-vide ... mpressions

There's your answer, clearly. And read the comments............
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,972
    http://road.cc/content/news/222705-video-mavic-comete-ultimate-shoes-first-impressions

There's your answer, clearly. And read the comments............
    :lol::lol::lol::lol: Imposter! :evil:
    For clarity, I am wary of a poster with one post when that one post is a sales pitch.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.