Knee Injury

Nulli
Nulli Posts: 29
edited June 2011 in Commuting general
I have not been cycling for long, since April and currently do about 28 miles a week as part of a 2 day a week commute with a 14 mile round trip but I have suddenly developed a knee injury in my right knee. The pain is underneath the lower section of the platella. I am not sure how this has happened but it became suddenly noticable after cycling home last Fri evening and is really quite painful now but with no swelling of the knee apparent. I wear SPD cycling shoes and as far as I am aware my setup for the bike is correct. can anybody shed any light on what the problem might be other than old age! I am 49 and would say I am reasonably fit for my age. Any suggestions on how to combat this problem other than no cycling for a while?

Trek 7.5fx

Comments

• jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    There's no correct way to set up your cleats. Fiddle around with alternative positions. It may just be 'one of those things', but have you checked your seat is at roughly the right height too?
  • Hi Nulli,

I have had serious knee injuries myself but have found cycling to have been an important part of my recovery.

Would be interesting to her more about your physical background - any previous injuries?, bike, style of riding etc.

It might help to get someone to check your set up and riding style in case anything obvious. Many good bike shops will be able to help.

I'm in your neck of the woods, so if you are stuck let me know and I'd be happy to take a look.(would need to be next week)

In the meantime, don't overdo your time on the bike
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    Sound like it could be bike set up putting strain on the joint/tendons. I got terrible shin splint a few years back from having a saddle too low. Didn't even notice it just slid downwards over the course of many months. Not sure what advice to give on that count other than double check everything is where you think it should be.

Another thing to think about is how warm do you keep the joint? When I was a bit younger I could bomb around in shorts in pretty much any weather. Now I'm mid-30s I've started wearing 3/4 shorts or knee warmers pretty much all the time.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I have suffered from knee problems since I was young, the most likley issue with cycling is having the saddle too low.

However I suspect you've just 'tweaked' something in there and it needs time to settle as cycling is aggravating it, some anti-inflammatories (Ibuprofen gel works well) and some ice and a few extra days out the saddle will probably see it right.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Nulli
    Nulli Posts: 29
    Thanks for the replies so far guys. My bike setup was checked by the guys in the shop prior to me riding it away and I am sure that my seat is at the correct height as I can only just touch the ground with the tips and balls of my toes and feet

To be honest most of my joints are pretty shot as a result of many years of pounding in the army and I tend to keep my legs clad in lycra rather than wear shorts so at least the joints are kept warm. Have started using Ibuprofen gel and have had to stop riding (which is killing me!) until the knee recovers.

Trek 7.5fx
  • Keith1983
    Keith1983 Posts: 575
    I've had what sounds like the problem you've described. I can't remember the medical term for it but it happens when there is an imbalance in the strength of the muscles in the knee. Essentially some muscles are stronger than others and start to push the knee cap out of it's normal position as they are overpowering the weaker muscles. Get to your GP and describe your symptoms, they should put you on to a physio who can identify the muscles that need strengthening and then give you exercises to do so.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Nulli wrote:
    I am sure that my seat is at the correct height as I can only just touch the ground with the tips and balls of my toes and feet

Sounds too low, with your bum on the saddle put your HEEL on the pedal and your leg should be either totally straight or bent just a fraction, no way can I get the tips of the toes of both feet on the ground when in the saddle.

My pounding days were in the Navy, so probably didn't do as much as you!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    In addition to what the other posters have said, you shouldn't be aiming to touch the ground whilst in the saddle; you need to get your leg in the right position for pedalling. When you come to a halt, you should be out of the saddle and standing on one pedal with the other foot ready to put on the ground.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}