Commuting cold turkey

puncturemagnet
puncturemagnet Posts: 52
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
Irritable and generally even more grumpy than usual is how the missus described my demeanor on Saturday. She was right too and the only thing I could put it down to was not being on the bike for seven days! A combination of being off work and not being very well meant my commuting time was nonexistent.

However, on Sunday afternoon I got back on the saddle and rode the bike into work and back and by God was I a happy chappy when I got home that evening. Sore legs, bum and so hungry I could have eaten a scabby horse but the feelgood factor was well and truly back! :D

Is this a common occurence amongst my cycling brethren?

Cycled into work today (only managed twice this week) but can't wait to ride home tonight. :D

Comments

• squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    I recently took a whole month off the bike. It was mainly due to a dodgy knee that needed some rest, but also because I've been cycling multiple times a week for a number of years without any break. It was hard at certain times, particularly when the weather was nice. However, when I got back on the bike I felt amazing, possibly better than I have felt on the bike in a while. It actually reminded me how important a proper rest is every so often.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I get really pissy if I've been off the bike (while not on holiday) for more than a couple of days
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,148
    I feel for ya - I've been off the bike since mid April due to a hernia. Recovering post op now but will probably need to wait until late this month before I can get back on and cycle properly. It feels ages away :(
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    I find it hard to sleep if I don't commute for a while. A daily 25 mile round trip gets me nice and ready for a good nights sleep :)
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    I feel for ya - I've been off the bike since mid April due to a hernia. Recovering post op now but will probably need to wait until late this month before I can get back on and cycle properly. It feels ages away :(

How did it go in the end? Any gruesome details for us to enjoy? :shock:
  • Stevo 666 wrote:

That sounds awful! :(

On a positive note, If you want me to give your Boardman a burl a couple of times a week just say the word :D
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,148
    edited June 2011
    Nich - the op went well and I'm healing up nicely - I can walk about normally now, and have been off the painkillers since the weekend. I've got a nice 2 inch scar on my lower abdomen where they sliced me open to inserted some sort of mesh that actually makes the area stronger than it was before, so once fully healed I'll be able to do everything I did before cycling and exercise-wise (just as well as I've larded up a nearly half a stone! ) No more detail: I don't want to put people off their dinner :)

Puncturemagnet - the first few days were not nice: very painful to move about and I had swelling and bruising where I really didn't want swelling and bruising. PS: glad you like the Boardy, but I hope to use it to at least pootle about soon. I need bike! :D
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Oh well, never mind, I hope you get well soon fella and get out on your lovely bike :D
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Yep. I get grumpy.

I haven't been on a bike since the middle of February. Going to try riding in tomorrow. Fingers crossed!
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.